diy solar

diy solar

LV6548 Flickering MPP sent X6 Caps. Hesistant

Gurusi

Hey, upon install (split phase parallel) i noticed some flickering on certain lights in our house. It could be where there are higher draws on the shared house electrical circuit on that light or maybe cheaper led/incompatible to solar... I went through MPP, sent logs etc and they advised installing X3 18UF caps on PV inputs/PV EMI board on each inverter.

I am guessing this will soften potential spikes or large changes in input. However after looking at different posts theres an element of you dont solve a problem by throwing in a cap! I have also noticed there is flickering at night when there is no PV input.

Also Ive got used to it so it doesnt bother me anymore. Are there any negatives to putting them in or should i just put them aside?

I'd try different lights first.

Did you remove any N-G bonding screws in the inverters? How is the system wired? These use neutral voltage sensing for determining line voltage output. AC input used?

Capacitors have been used and can help with the problem.
I am concerned about using cheap and nasty capacitors on permanent 24/7 duty.
Try it and if it works, buy proper capacitors from not Amazon !!!!

I'd try different lights first.

Did you remove any N-G bonding screws in the inverters? How is the system wired? These use neutral voltage sensing for determining line voltage output. AC input used?
Hey, yes both neutral bonding screws are removed, earthed to my main panel which has its own buried conductor. The array is way off my land and is earth ground bonded back to my main property. It completetly off grid, little pdf attached if its of help, pdf doesnt show the chargeverter and genny

Attachments

• Solar Setup.pdf
    502.1 KB · Views: 7
Capacitors have been used and can help with the problem.
I am concerned about using cheap and nasty capacitors on permanent 24/7 duty.
Try it and if it works, buy proper capacitors from not Amazon !!!!
good to know, im 50/50 right now. They were provided by mpp,so i would hope they are up to spec - see photo

Attachments

• IMG_8801.jpg
    IMG_8801.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 17
Hey, yes both neutral bonding screws are removed, earthed to my main panel which has its own buried conductor. The array is way off my land and is earth ground bonded back to my main property. It completetly off grid, little pdf attached if its of help, pdf doesnt show the chargeverter and genny
Then it most likely is the lights. I'd try lights before a cap.

You’re just using the two grey interconnect cables between the two inverters, not the black & red ones?

Reactions: Zwy
You’re just using the two grey interconnect cables between the two inverters, not the black & red ones?
Hey, yes from the manual it noted:-
WARNING: Do not connect the current sharing cable between the inverters which are in different phases.
Otherwise, it may damage the inverters.

Unless I misread?

Edit: to confirm they are split phase

Last edited:
Hey, yes from the manual it noted:-
WARNING: Do not connect the current sharing cable between the inverters which are in different phases.
Otherwise, it may damage the inverters.

Unless I misread?

Edit: to confirm they are split phase
You're good.
I currently have a single unit running as a work site generator and it is making my temporary LED lights wobble some, if I remember I will grab a capacitor or 3 and take them over there and see if there are any improvements to be had.

Just alittle update. I added the capacitors; however noticed no major difference in the flickering. Will prob just leave them in for now as i dont want to diassemble both inverters again!

Back