diy solar

diy solar

Make sure you put drip loops on comm cables to batteries

justinm001

Solar Addict
Mounted my batteries with posts and everything up to make wiring easier and fit better. Found out when massive storms a couple drops can get into the hinge of my bay door or somewhere and follow the rj45 cables right into my batteries BMS. Fried one 2 weeks ago but didn't find the root cause until just now after massive tornado storms last night and at 10am a couple little drops made it's way right on the BMS of the 2nd battery.

So now my 48v system is completely dead. Luckily the 12v is the main so not end of world.

Hopefully Current Connected has a couple spare Bmss I can order

Attachments

• 20240315_155639.jpg
    20240315_155639.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240315_155659.jpg
    20240315_155659.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240315_155646.jpg
    20240315_155646.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 21
Current Connected is great and let me buy 2 full BMS kits including the communication boards so new ports.

Will likely be encasing the batteries in thin foam and duct tape with drip loops and sealing everything.

Lucky those were soks, if those were eg4s you'd have had to ship them to Texas
Yupp had to RMA my 12v eg4s because the BMS failed. Required freight shipping, even asked to just let me replace myself.

Assuming they were under warranty did they cover shipping both ways?
Ever since I got the eg4 the BMS wasn't working right and tripping well under the limit, eventually opened it up and both were black and melted in parts so they covered under warranty.

Yes they covered both ways and process was good just took a week or two for them to approve.

They did require them to be pallete and banded and I think picked up on a dock, but luckily we do that at my office so wasn't an issue for me.

Yupp had to RMA my 12v eg4s because the BMS failed. Required freight shipping, even asked to just let me replace myself.
This is something a lot of people fail to take into account when purchasing a server rack battery.(having to ship entire thing back instead of just replacing a BMS for instance).

Current Connected sent everything I needed and even included all new cables. Only took like 15 minutes to get all swapped out and I'm back online. Mounted them horizontal this time and will encase in foam board sealed with real duct tape with drip loops.

Might not hurt to get a water sensor/alarm in that area to just to give you a heads up if things become moist again.

Might not hurt to get a water sensor/alarm in that area to just to give you a heads up if things become moist again.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Next to all this is the water heater then my fresh tank. If I fill my fresh water too fast it'll come out around the hose area and make it's way all the way to the other side to the battery area but the batteries are on top of a thick yoga mat thing so no risk there.

I need to redo the input so it's just a hose connector as I have a vent on the other side that drains underneath the coach, so the extra vent isn't needed. Also need to recaulk the wet area so leaks can't go anywhere.

And plumb the water heater pressure valve to vent under the coach just incase. I plumbed my shower drain to a p-trap with drain right above the water heater so I can put a valve and drain to ground just incase there was any reason I could legally do that and had a reason to preserve my black tank.

Was planning all this today but it's 34 out and I don't feel like freezing.

Back