diy solar

diy solar

MC4 Connectors for 8 AWG Wire Connecting to MC4 for 10 AWG Wire

Santa

Hi Everybody,

I am finally continuing to finish my set up and I am following (almost) Will's blueprint here: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/simplified-400-watt-fewer-wires-and-alternator-charging.html BUT, I will be using 8 AWG wires coming from the SCC to the Y-branch connector. So here are my questions to anyone who can help:

1. Can anyone tell me where to get MC4 connectors that accommodate 8 AWG (10 mm I believe)?

2. Does anyone know of a cheaper MC4 crimper tool that does 8 AWG that's not over $300? That's all I could find. (looking for cheap).

3. The Y-branch connector that Will has in the link (at the above blueprint) is 10 AWG, I believe. I want to know if the MC4 connectors are the same when it comes to connecting them to the 8 AWG MC4 connectors. In other words, will they fit together? Is it only the part where the wire goes in that is the difference?

4. Also, will it be a problem using the 10 AWG Y-branch connectors with the 8 AWG wire? In other words, will I need to find a y-branch connector that is 8 AWG?

I hope I explained that correctly. If not, please ask me to clarify.

Hoping everyone is doing well...

I think it would work but more than likely this is the issue:

Thanks for that info. My SCC came with 8 gauge lugs/connectors and an expert here recommended 8 gauge wire for my set up...hmmmm.....

BTW, there are MC4 connectors that work with 8 AWG, I just can't find them now...

BTW, there are MC4 connectors that work with 8 AWG, I just can't find them now...
Welcome back, Santa.

They definitely exist. WindyNation sells ready made cables. Maybe an option for you?:

And I found these 8 AWG MC4 connectors on eBay:

What I can't find is a crimp tool for that size under the $300 range...

Welcome back, Santa.

They definitely exist. WindyNation sells ready made cables. Maybe an option for you?:

Wow! Thanks Bob! I've been on Ebay, but I couldn't find them so THANKS! I don't need 10 pairs, but...it may be my only option, so that's okay. Thank you again!!!

Welcome back, Santa.

Try looking at this
Goplus 16 Ton Hydraulic Wire Crimper Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimping Tool on Amazon

Attachments

• 6115jOvf6IL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    6115jOvf6IL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 16
Wow! Thanks Bob! I've been on Ebay, but I couldn't find them so THANKS! I don't need 10 pairs, but...it may be my only option, so that's okay. Thank you again!!!
I ended up ordering cables with ends on from windy nation and bypassed the tool. As for combining, I am not sure I would use y connectors, I’m considering building a combiner box and using QO breakers for each string. That way I can use a small 220 exterior rated breaker box and the neutral bus becomes the negative for the panels. No crimp connections, accommodates 8 agw and improves safety.

I’m considering building a combiner box and using QO breakers for each string. That way I can use a small 220 exterior rated breaker box and the neutral bus becomes the negative for the panels.

What Voc are your strings of PV panels?

Your comment makes it sound like you plan to use single-ended QO breakers referenced to neutral and think they would work up to 220VDC. They are OK up to 48VDC (and I'm guessing up to 62.5VDC athough that violates the listing.) But not up to 220V!

Following links from other threads I found a mention of 48V rating for QO (peak voltage, meaning not good enough for 48V nominal battery.) So I searched the topic and found these:

Those say the QO breakers are UL listed for 48VDC, but the panels and 2-pole breakers used for + and - are "Square D Certified" for 125VDC (whatever that means!) I figure if 2 poles works for 125VDC then each pole handles 62.5VDC.

The interrupt current ratings are 4k, 5k, 10k amps. Certainly good enough for PV strings, but only small battery banks not large ones.

So the 220v rating I’m referring to is for the breaker box. This would normally be used for ac but QO breakers can be used for dc applications, such as PV strings. Bring the series string/s into the box and run the positive lead through the breaker. I currently have only one string @48vdc max, and don’t have a need to combine in parallel with another string.

What Voc are your strings of PV panels?

Your comment makes it sound like you plan to use single-ended QO breakers referenced to neutral and think they would work up to 220VDC. They are OK up to 48VDC (and I'm guessing up to 62.5VDC athough that violates the listing.) But not up to 220V!

Following links from other threads I found a mention of 48V rating for QO (peak voltage, meaning not good enough for 48V nominal battery.) So I searched the topic and found these:

Those say the QO breakers are UL listed for 48VDC, but the panels and 2-pole breakers used for + and - are "Square D Certified" for 125VDC (whatever that means!) I figure if 2 poles works for 125VDC then each pole handles 62.5VDC.

The interrupt current ratings are 4k, 5k, 10k amps. Certainly good enough for PV strings, but only small battery banks not large ones.
These type breakers would go between the POV strings and the SCC. Not on the battery. Jus as a combiner.

I think this thread from the OP (me) has gone way off and isn't answering my questions. All I really need is #2 question answered from OP. Thanks

I believe that is for lugs. I need an MC4 crimper.

I have the Harbor Freight version of that hydraulic crimper ($60) and was able to crimp 10 AWG MC4 lugs with one of the die sizes.

Because it has hex die, it only shrinks the connector slightly in terms of cross-sectional area. The wire needs to be a close fit before crimping, unlike those general purpose crimp terminals that fit a wide range of wire gauges using a different type of tool.

Someone who really knows crimps (and does battery cables for several hundred amps and marine applications) tried out this crimper and had bad things to say about it, but for me it's an upgrade to a cheap plier-style crimper. I wanted a commercial grade crimper for large lugs (e.g. Thomas-Betts) but didn't want to spend over a grand.

I have the Harbor Freight version of that hydraulic crimper ($60) and was able to crimp 10 AWG MC4 lugs with one of the die sizes.

Because it has hex die, it only shrinks the connector slightly in terms of cross-sectional area. The wire needs to be a close fit before crimping, unlike those general purpose crimp terminals that fit a wide range of wire gauges using a different type of tool.

Someone who really knows crimps (and does battery cables for several hundred amps and marine applications) tried out this crimper and had bad things to say about it, but for me it's an upgrade to a cheap plier-style crimper. I wanted a commercial grade crimper for large lugs (e.g. Thomas-Betts) but didn't want to spend over a grand.

I need it for 8AWG MC4's

Back