diy solar

diy solar

Mini Dayton DC Motor for Wind Turbine project?

ForgivenCreation

Howdy yall! Was wondering if I could get your opinions on this little Dayton permanent magnet DC motor for a wind turbine. What output can I expect, what blade type. All that stuff.
D1.jpg

It would work of course, the question is how much usable output you would get. Also need a way to overdrive it to reach the rpms it states, pulleys I would guess. lot of work but may be a fun little project. I have an old dremel motor I will probably play with for the same reason, fun and a bit of learning.

The higher the motor is voltage wise the more apt you are to actually get some usable wattage. So a 120v dc treadmill motor will spin in a 15mph wind and produce around 20v. Also rpm rating... higher is better IIRC.

thats true, but a turbine spinning even at 1750 rpm is a very dangerous thing. RPM would be a function of blade diameter, my 60" diam at 250 rpm makes me want to stay far away from it. It was designed to operate in the 60-120 rpm zone.

Anyone know the rpm that is normally reached in mild wind conditions? Also a blade design as well.

A "drag" device (anemometer) will move something below wind velocity.
RPM depends on diameter.

A "lift" device (airfoil) can move many times the wind speed.
But it requires laminar flow; turbulence causes it to stall, therefore needs to be high above the ground.

You can find plenty of graphs of theoretical maximum and reasonably achieved power vs. wind speed for a given swept area of airfoil.

Anyone know the rpm that is normally reached in mild wind conditions? Also a blade design as well.
RPM? Blade design?

Aerodynamics engineers barely scratch the surface of airfoil design until they get into a masters program. It's 2 years of schooling just to learn to use the software to design blades. In other words, you may have to do some more Googling.

Here's a few links to get you started.

By blade design I mean like the giant wind turbine blades style, the upright mounted style. I was just wondering what style would be best to look for off of one of those 3d printer cad sites. Also I would like to make it portable for my old truck camper, might be kind of cool along with my solar. Thank yall for the replies as well! I did spin it up with a Dewalt drill briefly and it quickly put out above 6 amps but only like 3-4 volts I believe, this was just with the multimeter connected.

Back