diy solar

diy solar

Mounting for the LV5048

ebdesroches

From the installations that I see, it looks like most are mounting the unit to plywood. The installation instructions say don't mount to anything that is flammable! Probably no big deal if you mount it in a shed and then if it burns up...no problem...buy new batteries and all-in-one and put them in a new shed (at least its not your home).

I am wondering if its a bad idea to mount this unit outside where there is humidity?

Thanks for your reply. I ended up putting the lv5048 outside...not in a shed but under a shed roof. I mounted it on wonderboard (concrete 1/2 inch board used in showers). I also covered the ceiling and adjacent fence with wonderboard. Other side far enough away from combustible material. One side is open. Wonderboard has a fire rating.

I am wondering if its a bad idea to mount this unit outside where there is humidity?
That depends. Chinesium parts tend to rust early and often. Steel parts will rust, but good quality ones, like steel contacts, will last longer before they rust.

It also depends on where you locate the item. Inside a shed is probably a fair bet but that does not mean every component is rust proof. Also, what happens when you get spiders inside your electronics? Will they cause a short? Will they trip a fuse?

I also have seen treated plywood delaminate in outdoor scenarious, but that was in direct contact with rain and snow. So I'd avoid using plywood outdoors, but inside a shed would be better.

I have limited space to install things....yeah most everyone does. So let this be a contest between the spiders and I...haha! Almost no matter where you put the equipment even in sheds the spiders somehow get in, however without without 4 walls and a door the likelyhood is much higher...you are right. Part of the idea is to get the system away from my house so that even if a fire starts its less likely to take the house with it....not impossible however.

Back