diy solar

diy solar

mounting on metal roof - angles and shadows

xcentric

Learning, fast and slow.....
The roof I'm mounting my panels on is box corrugated metal, WSW facing, sloping away from the sun (i.e. the front of the roof is higher than the back, and the backs the more northerly. Slope is about 15 degrees.

It's about 5m front to back. The plan is to mount two rows of panels - so far so good. But I want to ensure that the rear panels are not shaded by the front, and would like decent generation in the winter as well as the summer, so when the sun is lower. So, my thinking is to have the front row of panels inclined about 20 degrees above the horizontal (suboptimal for my 52.9 degrees north location in the UK), and the rear ones pushed towards the back of the roof, lifted at the front a bit, and tilted more steeply at about 35-40 degrees (35 is optimal for year-round, soI'll get more from them in the winter and a bit less in the summer). The advantage of the front ones being lower is that they will have less shading area, allowing me to fit the others on the roof without having to raise them too high.

Are there any disadvantages of this approach I'm missing?

Back