diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus II overheating

StartledP

Hi There,

My 48v 3000 MP ii is consistently getting close to max circuit board temp under 85% load, without surge, despite being in an open area with an ambient temp of 19 degrees (a basement). The fans are constantly on and the case temp is 38 degrees.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? The airflow of the unit seems to be crap, with the top fans obscured by a large metal flange which basically retransmits the exhaust heat back onto the metal case.

Im going to be pretty pissed if this 1200 euro inverter cant even deliver less than its rated capacity, under pretty much ideal conditions.

Last edited:
What do you mean max circuit board temp? Is it close to hitting 65°C?
"Max circuit board temp" is Victron terminology, it denotes when the the temperature warning light will flash red. AFAIK there isnt a readout for the circuit board temp, but I might check in Victron Connect later.

Thanks. I didn't understand.

I have 2X 48/5000 Quattros that live in an uninsulated shipping container and see ambient temperatures > 40°C. I don't run them anywhere near 85% of max. Typically, they are never run at more than 50% for extended periods. I've never receive temperature warnings on the GX, and I have never noticed one in person.

Hi There,

My 48v 3000 MP ii is consistently getting close to max circuit board temp under 85% load, without surge, despite being in an open area with an ambient temp of 19 degrees (a basement). The fans are constantly on and the case temp is 38 degrees.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? The airflow of the unit seems to be crap, with the top fans obscured by a large metal flange which basically retransmits the exhaust heat back onto the metal case.

Im going to be pretty pissed if this 1200 euro inverter cant even deliver less than its rated capacity, under pretty much ideal conditions.
Just to verify, you have the unit mounted vertically, correct?

Thanks. I didn't understand.

I have 2X 48/5000 Quattros that live in an uninsulated shipping container and see ambient temperatures > 40°C. I don't run them anywhere near 85% of max. Typically, they are never run at more than 50% for extended periods. I've never receive temperature warnings on the GX, and I have never noticed one in person.
Thanks for the info, I bought mine with the understanding that it would be able to supply up to 2400w continuously. Pretty clearly it isn't capable of anything like that, even under very favourable conditions.

Ill contact the supplier and work out a return.

Last edited:
Just to verify, you have the unit mounted vertically, correct?
Yep, and with free space 30cm above and below the unit.

Its mounted on an OSB plate, connected to a wall that's part of 1m thick stone foundations. The very definition of best case scenario for heat dissipation. The wall stays at a cool 18.5C.

Unfortunately the airpath on this MP ii is awful, the exit airflow is blocked for 50% at the top of the unit by the metal cover and that cover even has a small right angle flange on its edge to degrade the airflow even further. That cover then retransmits the heat from the exhaust back into itself. Its a very, very bad design. I suspect that a judicious 5 minutes with an angle grinder would go a long way to solving the problem.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the guides are seated correctly, as that would have been an easy fix. Ill see if i can return it.

Buyers beware, these Mutliplus ii inverters cant run at anywhere near their rated continuous capacity for anything other than short durations, even under ideal conditions. I really wouldn't want to know how hot it gets if it hits the 5kW surge capacity.

I havent properly tested it but considering this is a 48v inverter, running at only 2kW, if the unit is getting this hot the efficiency must be crap also. For comparison, I had no such issues with my cheap arse 24v SWI Power off grid inverter running the same load, in exactly the same location.

Thanks for the help though peeps, much appreciated during a very annoying time.

Last edited:
What firmware is the unit on? Believe it or not that can cause this, v483 had quite a few issues including very loud buzzing

What is the load you are running? Any idea what the power factor of the load is?
I've tried charging an EV, at a little under 10 amps (~2.1kW) and powering the water boiler, which is around 9 amps (~2kW). Both with the same result of an overheating circuit board warning after about 45 mins.

No idea of the power factor for the EV, but at least the water heater should be close to 1 ish (I think).

What firmware is the unit on? Believe it or not that can cause this, v483 had quite a few issues including very loud buzzing
Ill check, was fairly sure I updated it when I installed it about 2 months ago but not certain. Which firmware would you recommend as the most problem free?

Ill check, was fairly sure I updated it when I installed it about 2 months ago but not certain. Which firmware would you recommend as the most problem free?
Latest version is 506 and there are no problems to my knowledge. If you install VictronConnect and connect with your MK3 dongle, it's pretty easy to bring it to the latest version.

Latest version is 506 and there are no problems to my knowledge. If you install VictronConnect and connect with your MK3 dongle, it's pretty easy to bring it to the latest version.

Thank you, unfortunately I wasnt able to upgrade the unit before i had to leave the location but Ill try again next month and let everyone know the results.

Thanks for all the help guys and girls!

Did a firmware update resolve your problem? I have the same inverter waiting to be installed in our final system.

Back