diy solar

diy solar

Must I use "PV" wire for runs inside attic space?

inowhavesolar

I need to run wire from panels on roof, about 60ft, through attic space, to unfinished garage to inverter. There's an "attic tunnel" which connects main house to detached garage. Do I have to use #10 "PV wire" through the attic or can I transition in the roof box to standard #10 THHN wire?

I need to run wire from panels on roof, about 60ft, through attic space, to unfinished garage to inverter. There's an "attic tunnel" which connects main house to detached garage. Do I have to use #10 "PV wire" through the attic or can I transition in the roof box to standard #10 THHN wire?
I believe NEC code requires DC inside a dwelling to be contained in metal conduit or equivalent.

I believe NEC code requires DC inside a dwelling to be contained in metal conduit or equivalent.
What is the equivalent?

Can you use Teck or BX? armoured cables?

Just some light reading that talks about Mechanical protection and wiring methods/
I am not personal familiar with the current rules...

Last edited:
What is the equivalent?

Just some light reading that talks about Mechanical protection and wiring methods/

Metal clad (MC) is acceptable.

What is the equivalent?

Looks like Canada is much stricter requiring the PV cables to be secured from risk of physical damage, and a lot about rodent proofing.

Screenshot_20240422_214246_Samsung Notes.jpg

I can assure you from personal experience - if a wire can be accessed by a rodent - they will find it and chew through it.

No matter what anyone wants to believe, rodents can and do get literally anywhere and have a passion for chewing through wires.

They also love to chew on roofing materials including tar paper.

Back