diy solar

diy solar

My first stab at hybrid grid/solar fifth wheel setup

Ahh I didn’t ground the shunt which meant battery wasn’t as well. Ran a jumper cable to test after speaking with my dad whose an electrician.

All good again !

Do you have any 12 volt load to hook directly to the converter and remove the other 12 volt loads?

Appears you have a 70 amp 24 volt to 12 volt converter. I had one of those bad out of the box. Got a replacement and two and a half years later running fine.

If the load works, may be a 12 volt wiring problem. If the 12 volt load doesn’t work, points to the converter or the 24 volts into it.

I use my 70 amp inverter for a 50 amp load for a few seconds at a time with no issues.

now that I fixed the ground I was able to get something like 12.8 volts at my panel. Seems
There is some voltage drop but I can turn up the output on the Orion. I just need to go to the panel and remove the converter and just feed in the main line from the Orion.

now that I fixed the ground I was able to get something like 12.8 volts at my panel. Seems
There is some voltage drop but I can turn up the output on the Orion. I just need to go to the panel and remove the converter and just feed in the main line from the Orion.
Some voltage drop is normal.

Looks like you do have thick wire.

A couple of tenths is about 3% and 1.2 volts is around 10%. The voltage will drop more with the amperage.

Some voltage drop is normal.

Looks like you do have thick wire.

A couple of tenths is about 3% and 1.2 volts is around 10%. The voltage will drop more with the amperage.
Hrm, I don’t have any heavy hitting 12v stuff that’s back at the panel, well there is a 300amp fuse for a slide but the slide isn’t being used with anything else usually. I’m debating if I should turn up voltage a little on Orion or leave alone. The slide controller is up front and the front jacks and what not are all hard wired to the 12v bus bar right off the Orion, so they are reading around 13.2 already. I think 12.8 should suffice at the panel.

Also, I ran a 30amp plug to my ac-in-1 temporarily and the charger only mode is working great.

Back