diy solar

diy solar

My generator is producing naughty or dirty power

spendlove

We live off-grid and have been using this UPS for the office computer:

It gives us about 20 minutes to get outside and start the generator if the whole system turns off due to the battery bank voltage falling too low.

Recently we got a new propane generator to use as a backup, but this once produces AC power instead of DC like our other one. Here is the particular unit:

Everything else around here runs fine when this new generator is running, but the UPS complains. It will instantly switch to its own internal reserve battery and give the countdown, in minutes, as to how much longer it will be able to stay running.

My suspicion was that our new generator is producing dirty power that the UPS doesn't like. I confirmed this with the manufacturer of the UPS. He said the UPS is designed to accept a range of voltage, but its likely the varying Hertz that is the culprit.

Does anyone know of a device I can buy that will clean up the power the generator makes so that the Hertz is consistent? Otherwise I think I'll be forced to buy another more expensive UPS.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Oh my, naughty is my specialty. It's not unusual for generators to produce AC sinusoidal wave forms that are less than perfect. You probably don't have an oscilloscope to look at the wave form output but that's the only way to tell for sure what's happening. Might I suggest trying a relatively inexpensive line conditioner? Also, if the manufacturer of your naughty Jenny speaks or writes passable English, you can run the problem by their customer service rep. perhaps? Good luck. https://www.amazon.com/Line-Conditioners/b?node=10967061

If the genny is not an inverter type I can believe the frequency wandering being a problem. Some multimeters have a frequency option that you could use to check it. The cheapie Aneng meters often do.

If frequency is the problem there's not really a lot you can do apart from trying to tighten up the frequency on the generator by tweaking the governor or replacing something. A filter / line conditioner can't address the frequency issue but it will remove hash / noise which might be triggering the UPS too.

Might I suggest trying a relatively inexpensive line conditioner?

Thanks for the link, but it produces a list of conditioners ranging from $43 to $1200. Can you recommend a particular unit that would work well and be easy to implement?

Sure, this indoor unit for example is easy to implement, serves to regulate a wide range of over and undervoltage fluctuations AND has naughty noise supression. It handles 1,200 watts, (10 amps at 120 volts AC), and this particular vendor, located in Ohio USA, has telephone numbers, email, and live help options under their "contact us" tab. https://www.parts-express.com/tripp-lite-lc1200-line-conditioner---avr-system--125-100

Is the generator running at less than 50% load? If so you could try adding an electric heater.

That's a Mod Sine generator and no UPS will like it without preconditioning & filtering. That will cost you more than if you had purchased a larger Inverter Generator or even a small Standby Generator but these are of course considerably more expensive. Changing your UPS will not accomplish anything, aside from emptying your wallet more.

GIGO: Garbage in, Garbage out also applies to power.
These from Champion work quite well, use LPG and can be gotten on sale in the US sometimes for around $3000

Generac and others also make similar Models at differing price points. Portable Inverter Generators like Honda or even Champion can be linked to increase power etc but are also far from cheap due to form factor and target market.

Sure, this indoor unit for example is easy to implement, serves to regulate a wide range of over and undervoltage fluctuations AND has naughty noise supression.

I've done some more research and apparently a double conversion UPS would also be a possibility. These kind constantly provide clean pure sine wave power 100% through its internal battery. My current UPS uses supplied AC first, and then switches to the battery if voltage drops too low or there is an outright power outage. Here are two UPS models that run constantly on their own battery power instead of AC:

But if have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix the problem of dirty electricity while the 240V generator is running, I'm thinking it might be best to find a line conditioner that could clean up the power right as it exists the generator. The advantage of this is that all three homes on this property, that get their power from the battery shed, would then have clean power.

Can anyone recommend a line conditioner that could be hard wired in?

Thanks!

Hi....if you really want to go ahead with this fella, the earthing has to be TT. this supply has been legally discon, so no one can give pme without opening the service. s*ds law the neutral would break, and unless your earthing design is correct.

Back