diy solar

diy solar

My monthly peak energy demand for 15mins is

LittleLebowski

Solar Enthusiast
14kw according to my Emporia. I assume this is going to be hard to plan around for a partial off grid? I’d like to get close to that much power, but am still actively reading and learning.

First step is finding electrical consumption, second step is reducing consumption. Find out what creates that load, and figure out a way to reduce it. There's soft start units available for large motors (HVAC, well pumps), and you can put appliances on timers so they don't kick on at the same time, electric units could also be replaced with gas.

I'll see your 14kw and raise to 21kw. ;)
I'm going to start replacing the old HVAC units to pull the loads down.
(4) HVAC units going plus induction cooking can make for some crazy peaks.
May SENSE report 21kw peak.jpg

What are you running that draws 14KW of power for 15 minutes?
I’m not certain, I believe it was a one time perfect storm. Unfortunately, the house is all electric. Until summer hit, my biggest draw was the electric stove. Not sure how to fix that sans getting rid of it and buying a new one.

Nothing. All electric house with old heat pump, electric stove, two dehumidifiers; I think the stove and the heat pump are my main problems.
Which type of dehumidifiers?
What model heat pump? Have you had it serviced? A failed electric strip control can have the heater on all the time. A quick check with an amp probe on the air handler branch circuit will verify.

I did not even count my mini split heat pump but it only draws one or two kWs. We rarely get below 40 F and I mine does not have heat strips.

Which type of dehumidifiers?
What model heat pump? Have you had it serviced? A failed electric strip control can have the heater on all the time. A quick check with an amp probe on the air handler branch circuit will verify.
In the timeline posted, the heat pump was only cooling. I will post dehumidifier data and I appreciate you chiming in.

In the timeline posted, the heat pump was only cooling. I will post dehumidifier data and I appreciate you chiming in.
I understand you were running the cool mode, but heat pumps CAN fail and allow the heat strip to run when not calling for heat.
Have it checked…

Back