diy solar

diy solar

my third up in smoke story, technically its my second timeline wise.. but who is counting?

Daddy Tanuki

Solar Wizard
so I related how my failure to correctly torque down a cable led to a 2g cable getting very hot (no fire thank god). but what I did not relate was that right before this, I toasted a generator.

so I have 10kw diesel 3 phase genset that i use to power welders (real ones, not 120 volt craftsmen units) as well as compressors and car lift. i also have it hard wired into my inverter but only at 120. the inverter cannot handle 3phase power as its 120° out of phase compared to 240 split phase which is 180° out of phase. it causes the inverter to overheat when trying to rectify the phases. but you can use 120 input, but you can only charge at half of the rate compared to 240. so 30 amps at 48 volts. I also have(had) a gasoline makita genset from the early 90's that did 20 amps at 240 split phase.

so, the 10kw is hard wired but you can shut it off via its circuit breaker. the 5.5kw makita was a 240 lug, and it has its own breaker. so dumb ass me is charging up the new battery banks with the diesel genset while using the compressor and the lift. but it was taking forever and the temp sensors on the inverter were reading fairly high so i decided to start the smaller 240 genset and allow it to charge while using the 10kw to run the 3 phase stuff. yep.. forgot to shut off the breaker ont he 10kw and it smoked something in the makita. problem is its a 30+ year old genset and parts are no longer available.

my first thought was the diode set, jacks small engines has them listed but cancelled my order saying the part was no longer available. so i found one on EBAY used, and tried it.. no dice, the genset only makes 70-80 volts per leg when it should be making 120 per leg.

any ideas? thinking i might need to just junk it as parts are no longer easily available, which is sad as it only has about 300 hours on it. all of which I put on it after buying it used but stored for over 30 years.

thing is I do not even need it in reality as other than commissioning my new battery banks the panels provide more than enough and the bank is sized to carry me through 7 days of zero output... the 10 kw will charge up the bank, its just slower.

oh and this was a beer involved accident...

Since you already explored repairing it with out success it sounds like it is junk time. Shame but nothing lasts forever. Especially when concentration lapses. I almost toasted my DMM a couple days back by checking a battery for voltage without paying attention to the fact the last time I used the meter was for testing amperage. It was early morning and I was not not at my mental best. The resulting spark and minor fused metal at the probe tip was a wake up. Just luck the meter is still working.

Sucks when parts dry up. While the genset maybe no good anymore it sounds like you still have a good engine for other projects or salvage generators.

Possibly damaged/shorted windings.
this is my biggest worry. trying to source all the components in the "box" diodes, capacitor etc. and hoping for the best. it suck because the thing only has a couple of hundred hours on it. it was a unicorn here in japan getting a 240 split phase unit. should have been more sober I think.

Maybe next safety item for you will be a breathalyzer. If under 0.05,

Maybe next safety item for you will be a breathalyzer. If under 0.05, proceed with technical tasks. Sorry to hear of your generators passing
this whole thing for me is a way to spend time. in other words a basic time wasting exercise. I could pay to have someone else build the whole system. i could simply pay for TEPCO to bring poles and line out. I could do a lot of things, but one thing this forum has brought me is a lot of fun at Sniping at all of you Smurfs

:p:p:p

Joking, I learn a lot each time I come on hear even though i probably seem like an ass with some of my posts... (who am i kidding?) its part and parcel.

I've had an alternator that didn't charge well. Rebuild shop simply replaced triode (which I'd burned out messing with wiring), but having been there done that I questioned that. With a scope hooked up, they observed dropouts in waveform, determined there was damaged insulation and rewound it. After which it was OK. So try monitoring waveform.

Is there proper way to test windings in situ? We used a growler for motor armatures. Not sure if that finds all sorts of damaged insulation, if voltage is sufficient to arc across or whatever.

Since you've got a bigger 3-phase generator, consider an isolation to convert 208 to 120/240V split-phase.

Or 208V battery charger (or inverter) to charge from other two legs.

Maybe next safety item for you will be a breathalyzer. If under 0.05, proceed with technical tasks. Sorry to hear of your generators passing
If I just could lock out my my tools and Amazon shopping cart with a breathalyzer...... deep sigh... I'd also have lock out the breathalyzer's lockout settings or it would all be for naught.

oh and this was a beer involved accident...
1711928117623.png

Or 208V battery charger (or inverter) to charge from other two legs.
this is why i have been researching the new chargeverter for. going to put one on one side of the diesel and test it and if all goes well will probably order another one to run two on the diesel to help balance the load.

any ideas? thinking i might need to just junk it as parts are no longer easily available, which is sad as it only has about 300 hours on it. all of which I put on it after buying it used but stored for over 30 years.
Might be worth giving your friendly local repair shop a try.
I have been pleasantly surprised before. Hoping that the same awaits for you.

Back