diy solar

diy solar

Need a generator replacement battery... Could someone recommend a manufacturer & vendor?

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
I need to replace my generator battery - it has been abused and acting up, not holding charge.

Could someone recommend a vendor (Lowes? Walmart? Electrical Supplier? Autozone?) and a battery brand for this application?

I suspect this is a size 51 battery? Am I reading the labels correctly?

Here are photos of the existing battery:

20220722_092713.jpg
20220722_092853.jpg

Yes. That's a group 51 battery. Have you been checking the electrolyte levels in the cells?

Most (80%+) flooded cell batteries in the U.S., regardless of brand, are made in Mexico by a former division of Johnson Controls (can't remember the new name). Quality has been on a perpetual decline for some time. Sometimes you get a great one, sometimes you get a turd. More often than not, it's something in between and nothing like batteries used to be 10+ years ago.

IMHO, buy a battery on the basis of whatever you're comfortable with price and warranty. If you get flooded, make sure you maintain the electrolyte levels. If you never want to worry about it, get AGM.

Whatever you do, don't buy a premium brand for a premium price. Optima used to be a premium product, but the only thing "premium" about them now is their price. I've pulled dozens of yellow and red tops out of cars very shortly after their warranty expires.

johnson was sold to clarios - a private equity fund according to an article from 2021 they still have 3 plants in the USA making batteries.
They do make 1 in 3 batteries worldwide though.
east penn still makes batteries in the states and is family owned.

johnson was sold to clarios - a private equity fund according to an article from 2021 they still have 3 plants in the USA making batteries.
They do make 1 in 3 batteries worldwide though.
east penn still makes batteries in the states and is family owned.

Thanks for that. Hard to find batteries that don't say "Made in Mexico."

When trying to get tech data beyond the datasheet out of Interstate, I've had reps tell me, "We don't know. We don't actually make them. They're made in Mexico."

Thanks for that. Hard to find batteries that don't say "Made in Mexico."

When trying to get tech data beyond the datasheet out of Interstate, I've had reps tell me, "We don't know. We don't actually make them. They're made in Mexico."
Interstate was made by Johnson - now clarios and also by exide which is based in Georgia.
I forgot about exide , they were bought up by atlas holdings. Whom I never heard of prior. Im not sure the story there, they filed bankruptcy and that is how atlas took control. I'm guessing Atlas is now running the plants worldwide.
Exide/Atlas did and maybe still does have several plants in the states as well.

So, regardless of what THAT battery is, you probably want to look up the specs on what battery you SHOULD have from the generator manufacturer. Any-ole 12v might work, but if there are certain CCA requirements that the gen company recommends, that alone could be shortening the battery life. Once you know the recommended size and chemistry, follow all the recommendations above^^^.

Dan

Back