diy solar

diy solar

Need electrician help near DFW, TX --> Found

blueforce

Update: found someone to do the job. Thanks for everyone's input.

Trying to keep my costs down so planning to procure the equipment myself and have someone install it. Looking for an electrician near Willow Park, TX who can pull the permits and do the things that only a licensed professional should be doing.

My prospective setup:
1x EG4 18kpv
3x EG4 Powerpro wallmount batteries (42.9kwh)

Last edited:
Trying to keep my costs down so planning to procure the equipment myself and have someone install it.
Not a good plan. If you can install, and need an electrician for the grid connection, that works. But if you need a crew to install the panels and everything else, you might as well find a reliable company to install what they supply. In that case, find a sol-ark installer off the sol-ark website. Don't know if eg4 offers a similar listing.

Several have mentioned that they even struggled to get an licensed electrician to help just with small parts. It can be done just be prepared for it not be as easy one might be hoping.

From searching around and y'alls responses it appears that if you live within city limits and they require permits it's just too much of a hassle to do anything but hire a company to install and use their equipment.

I have no idea why but just guessing it must not be enough of a profit margin for a company that's familiar with battery backup (i.e. a solar installer) to do the work and for your run of the mill electricians they probably never work with battery backup and wouldn't be comfortable putting their license at risk to do the work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From searching around and y'alls responses it appears that if you live within city limits and they require permits it's just too much of a hassle to do anything but hire a company to install and use their equipment.

You have to search here and it may take time but you can find an electricity to help without costing you an arm and a leg. Ask on nextdoor, you're neighbors, call a temp labor company for a licenses or journeyman electrician ...
I have no idea why but just guessing it must not be enough of a profit margin for a company that's familiar with battery backup (i.e. a solar installer) to do the work and for your run of the mill electricians they probably never work with battery backup and wouldn't be comfortable putting their license at risk to do the work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Do you need to permit with batteries?

Can you permit without batteries and add the batteries later?

You have to search here and it may take time but you can find an electricity to help without costing you an arm and a leg. Ask on nextdoor, you're neighbors, call a temp labor company for a licenses or journeyman electrician ...
Never thought about those last options. I'll have to look into those.
Do you need to permit with batteries?

Can you permit without batteries and add the batteries later?
I have no idea. I would assume so. The last thing I want to do is void my home insurance because I have an unauthorized battery install. Permits for my city aren't very helpful here. There is a PV permit which requires information about attached batteries but I'm not installing PV. Then there is the generic electrical work permit. I spoke to the city inspector and all he said was that it had to be up to code to pass inspection and the permit must be pulled by an electrician.

Never thought about those last options. I'll have to look into those.

I have no idea. I would assume so. The last thing I want to do is void my home insurance because I have an unauthorized battery install. Permits for my city aren't very helpful here. There is a PV permit which requires information about attached batteries but I'm not installing PV. Then there is the generic electrical work permit. I spoke to the city inspector and all he said was that it had to be up to code to pass inspection and the permit must be pulled by an electrician.
oh didn't realize this is inverter and battery only no pv.
Texas allows homeowners to do their own electrical work. If you can find the language in the state code you may be able to successfully challenge the city.

oh didn't realize this is inverter and battery only no pv.
Texas allows homeowners to do their own electrical work. If you can find the language in the state code you may be able to successfully challenge the city.
This guy LOL. Sir you are sending me on a dangerous path that I am stupid enough to go down.
But seriously, if that's the case then this problem just got a whole lot easier to solve. Thanks.

Looked up the state code 1305.00.6: work not specifically regulated by a municipal ordinance that is performed in or on a dwelling by a person who owns and resides in the dwelling;

My local municipality requires a permit for everything over 24 volts.

Trying to keep my costs down so planning to procure the equipment myself and have someone install it. Looking for an electrician near Willow Park, TX who can pull the permits and do the things that only a licensed professional should be doing.

My prospective setup:
1x EG4 18kpv
3x EG4 Powerpro wallmount batteries (42.9kwh)

You may be able to find something with the NABCEP directory.

Looked up the state code 1305.00.6: work not specifically regulated by a municipal ordinance that is performed in or on a dwelling by a person who owns and resides in the dwelling;

My local municipality requires a permit for everything over 24 volts.
Is it specifically in the city code?

Edit: yes it is.

Ok,
Also, are you planning to sell to the utility or be connected in parallel to the grid?

If you have no solar panels there is nothing visible from the street- you are getting a permit for insurance purposes?

Last edited:
Also, are you planning to sell to the utility or be connected in parallel to the grid?
I am planning to sell to the utility / be connected in parallel to the grid.
If you have no solar panels there is nothing visible from the street- you are getting a permit for insurance purposes?
I'd rather not give insurance companies any reason to deny a claim if something goes wrong.

Time of use as a backup plan but ideally planning to sell back to the utility during peak times 7-9am and 7-10pm. The rest of time use grid power at the off peak rate. This would make my power bills virtually 0. Keeping costs low this would lead to a <4 year payback. If I have to do time of use with free nights and no net metering then payback is about 5.5 years. Electricity is cheap here in TX but this will also add backup power to my house.

Only hangup with net metering I see is that the net metering plans all mention solar, but do they strictly require that you have it?

Time of use pricing? Adding panels later?

Time of use as a backup plan but ideally planning to sell back to the utility during peak times 7-9am and 7-10pm. The rest of time use grid power at the off peak rate. This would make my power bills virtually 0. Keeping costs low this would lead to a <4 year payback. If I have to do time of use with free nights and no net metering then payback is about 5.5 years. Electricity is cheap here in TX but this will also add backup power to my house.

Only hangup with net metering I see is that the net metering plans all mention solar, but do they strictly require that you have it?
What plan/provider offers this?

What plan/provider offers this?
Rhythm: PowerShift Solar Buyback 12

And I was wrong about the morning peak; it's 6-9am. Evening peak starts at 4pm and Ultra peak starts at 7pm. The rest of the time it's ~$0.08/kwh.

Rhythm: PowerShift Solar Buyback 12

And I was wrong about the morning peak; it's 6-9am. Evening peak starts at 4pm and Ultra peak starts at 7pm. The rest of the time it's ~$0.08/kwh.
So you would sell at 28.7 and buy back at 3.3+tdu?(Don't forget to add 20% to the purchase cost for conversion losses)

So in the summer let's say 7pm to 10pm how much will you be able to sell? If you subtract house loads and ac loads how much of the 12kw is left to sell back to the grid?

If you don't export, but simply self consume during peak hours and charge during off peak hours much are you saving and does it offset your equipment cost?

So you would sell at 28.7 and buy back at 3.3+tdu?(Don't forget to add 20% to the purchase cost for conversion losses)

So in the summer let's say 7pm to 10pm how much will you be able to sell? If you subtract house loads and ac loads how much of the 12kw is left to sell back to the grid?
Good question. I've taken my past two years of smart meter readings and loaded them into a database. Then I use excel and some simple sql queries to get my avg usage/month/hour so I have a starting point of my energy needs throughout the day. Once I have that I can start running scenarios for each power plan. I've used the published numbers from EG4 for conversion losses (95% battery charging efficiency, 94% battery to grid) but even at 20% loss the numbers are still acceptable to me. I also assume discharging to 3% using a pseudo Will Prowse methodology.

For sellback, in the morning i would run off battery during the peak time and can sell all 3 hours (6-9am). In the evening I would wait until the 9-10pm hour to sell back. On average throughout the year I would have about 9.7kwh in reserve to sell back (~$2.66/day during this time).

In summer time I would run out of battery in the last hour in June, July, August but that's where the rollover credits should come in. I would also be close or negative in whatever month we have a freeze since my pool will be running 24/7 for freeze protection. And these times can also be variable if I change it the EG4 settings manually each month or do a HomeAssistant integration to automate it.
If you don't export, but simply self consume during peak hours and charge during off peak hours much are you saving and does it offset your equipment cost?
If I only do consumption in a TOU free nights plan then, with only 3 batteries I would have be dynamic month to month and shift my battery usage start time depending on the season and when I use the most power (mornings in winter, evenings in summer). If I go for two more batteries then I could, practically, run all day and be under the 80kwh limit for residential households. Payback for this scenario would be <5 - 7 years depending on the number of batteries so still within the warranty of 10 years. I've looked at plans that are 9p-7a free, 8p-6a free, and 9p-9a free and the best ROI comes from 8p-6a because of the way I use power. You would think 9p-9a but on peak prices for that are $0.35/kwh which kills the ROI.

I know reducing my overall usage would probably be the cheapest route but I really don't see that happening. My house was built in 2022, I work from home, my wife is a homemaker, and I have 2.5yo, 1.5yo, and 2mo children who are only gonna consume more power as they get older.

Good question. I've taken my past two years of smart meter readings and loaded them into a database.

Hey it sounds like you've done your homework. That's awesome. What is your peak demand? Is it higher than 12kw?

Curious, approx how much do you use per day?

Hey it sounds like you've done your homework. That's awesome. What is your peak demand? Is it higher than 12kw?
My highest all time peaks are in winter at 29kwh during the freezes. Hence why I chose a hybrid inverter with 200 amp passthrough.
My average peak usage for a month is 8.17kwh in July around 4pm.
Curious, approx how much do you use per day?
Average usage per month is 93.5kwh/day and $370/mo @ $0.13/kwh.

My house runs on electric except for the cooktop and fireplace that run on propane.

Back