diy solar

diy solar

Need help with Coding Home brew BMS

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
So I have been trying to build my own rudimentary BMS. Phase 1 is simply getting cell voltages from each cell in series. Im working with a 12S configuration.

Long story short After different attempts using MOSFET's and relays to iterate through the cells I realized reinventing the wheel is probably silly.

So therefore I found this very small chip that does everything I need and I can control it from a micro controller.

Problem is while I can program many things this is a new level of sophistication for me.

By Monday I should have a test system wired up and I am pretty good about learning code on the fly but things like reading and writing to registers through SPI are all new to me.

Below is a link to the datasheet for my device. If anybody knows how this type of stuff works and has time and desire to help me get started I would much appreciate it. All I need is the raw data then I can take it from there.
https://www.renesas.com/us/en/www/doc/datasheet/isl94212.pdf

SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) is just a communication protocol that even the most basic microcontollers support these days, what you're talking about is developing a 'microcontroller driver library', which is no small feat.

Fortunately, Renesas have already done this for you, checkout here and here.

Their eval board is probably the easiest route as it connects directly to a computer over standard USB. To use the 'raw chip' you'd need to port their VBA-based driver source code to appropriately compiled microcontroller firmware.

To get started with microcontroller firmware, you'll need an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), such as this one for Atmel/Microchip-based microcontrollers.

The thread you refer to is here.

Edit: Added eval board details.
Edit: Added example IDE details
Edit: Added thread link

Last edited:
Back