diy solar

diy solar

Need help with Schnieder Load Shaving Set Up

robcocquyt

Hi All! First-time poster here!

I have been living off-grid for 5 years now with a 3600 array, a Schnieder Conext 4024 inverter/charger, and a Honda Eu7000 generator for back-up power when the sun isn't shining. Minor hiccups along the way but I've always managed to sort things out.

I recently had to replace the submersible pump in my water storage tank. Like many pumps, it has a significant brief surge and then settles at about 1200w. When the generator isn't running, there are no issues, The batteries and inverter handle it without issues. When the generator is running, however, the pump causes the generator to shut down (presumably because the surge is too big of a draw). This only happens with my little giant 1/2hp cistern pump that is directly under my house. My 1/2hp Gould's pump in my well (150 feet down) does not shut my generator down.

This leads me to load shaving. I am wondering if the load shaving would allow the batteries / inverter to "help" the generator during the pump's surge. If so, I amp wondering what my settings should be. I tried messing around with the settings this morning but, when I hit "save", my generator disconnected but kept running. I have attached a screenshot my admin screen.

One other contributing factor may be that I run the honda in "eco" mode so there is probably a brief period when the pump starts that the generator cannot handle the surge. Turning eco-mode off is not an option....it saves a ton of fuel and works for everything else (including my well pump). My options seem to be: 1. Finding a way to use load shaving to fix the problem (if that is an appropriate use for load shaving) or 2. Getting a new pump with a smaller surge or soft start. Thanks in advance.

*****as an aside, I have now been on hold with Schnieder technical support for 38 minutes to see if I can get an answer from them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.31.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.31.26 AM.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 3
Grundfoss scala2 is expensive, but its a regular 120v plug, is variable speed to match load, super soft start, pumps tons of water, it can also be turned down to use less power and less noise.
Its tankless, but I added a small tank to keep it from cycling when I only use a tiny bit of water to wash hands ect.

I wouldnt have bought one at their price, but was so impressed by one in a camp at work that I was sold.

I'm not sure the generator will be happy going from charging the battery through the short transition when the inverter switches from charging to inverting.

Do you have generator support set up? Any chance that charging+pump is overloading the inverter?

An alternate solution might be to install some sort of a lock out so the pump can't run if the inverter is running.

Back