diy solar

diy solar

Needing assistance with Tigo Single Core RSS Transmitter

cbrian72

I purchased a solar package which has an EG4 6500 EX-48 Solar Inverter/Charger 6.5 KVA 120 volt AC. I am trying to hook up the Tigo Single Core RSS Transmitter 100 amp. I am wondering where to get the power to power the Tigo transmitter. Also, I have the initiator switch 660 volt 10 amp 2 position 1 NO 1 NC Momentary Emergency Stop Push Button Switch, and I have no idea where that connects into anything.
Thank you so much!
Chris Sypolt

I purchased a solar package which has an EG4 6500 EX-48 Solar Inverter/Charger 6.5 KVA 120 volt AC. I am trying to hook up the Tigo Single Core RSS Transmitter 100 amp. I am wondering where to get the power to power the Tigo transmitter. Also, I have the initiator switch 660 volt 10 amp 2 position 1 NO 1 NC Momentary Emergency Stop Push Button Switch, and I have no idea where that connects into anything.
Thank you so much!
Chris Sypolt

What is the rated voltage of the Single Core RSS?

What exactly do you want the Stop button to do?

Why did you buy a DIY kit?

Thank you so much!
Chris Sypolt
The Tigo RSS transmitter is only one part of a whole module based, PV Rapid Shutdown System. The Tigo transmitter communicates with Tigo remote switches which have to be installed on EVERY PV solar panel!

The idea behind a module-based PVRSS is that the max. PV DC voltage that can harm someone (e.g. firefighters on the roof) is no higher than what just one PV module can produce (around 55 V for large modules). To achieve that, each module needs to have it's own remote disconnect switch installed to disconnects itself from the other modules! Therefore, such an installation is complex and expensive - but perfect for safety.

To avoid additional wiring to control these remote switches, the system uses "communication over PV power line" to just use the existing PV wires and this is what the ferrite core is for inside the RSS transmitter (via the ferrite core, the RSS transmitter modulates the signal contactless for "switching on" the PV panel on top of the existing PV wire voltage). All the remote switches under each PV panel receiving this signal (only works daytime when the solar panels produce energy) and "switch on" to connect to each other PV module.

It's important, that you wire all positive PV wires of all PV strings through the ferrite core of the RSS transmitter (or all negatives, but never mixed).

If the Tigo RSS transmitter loose power (to modulate the "on" signal), all remote switches switching "off". This is the what the emergency button is used for. It simply disconnects the Tigo RSS transmitter from it's (additional required) 12V power supply.

Tigo offers different options for these remote switches. These switches are clamped on the PV panels frame (e.g. like micro inverters are mounted):
  • Tigo TS4-A-F (just one remote switch for one PV panel)
  • Tigo TS4-A-2F (contains 2 remote switches to control 2 PV panels)
  • Tigo TS4-A-O (contains an PV optimizer and also the remote switch)
  • Tigo TS4-A-S (contains module based PV monitoring and also the remote switch)
I use the Tigo TS4-A-2F to reduce the number of required remote switches to the half of my PV panels (I don't care about PV optimizer and module level monitoring).

Just one hint. Because the RSS transmitter needs power to enable (switch on) the PV panels, you'll have to deal with a black start (dark start) situation. If you don't have the 12V power to supply the RSS transmitter, you'll have no chance to produce PV energy! This may result in a dead-lock situation.

Last edited:
The Tigo RSS transmitter is only one part of a whole module based, PV Rapid Shutdown System. The Tigo transmitter communicates with Tigo remote switches which have to be installed on EVERY PV solar panel!

I use the Tigo TS4-A-2F to reduce the number of required remote switches to the half of my PV panels (I don't care about PV optimizer and module level monitoring).

Just one hint. Because the RSS transmitter needs power to enable (switch on) the PV panels, you'll have to deal with a black start (dark start) situation. If you don't have the 12V power to supply the RSS transmitter, you'll have no chance to produce PV energy! This may result in a dead-lock situation.

you can use the Tigo 120vAC->12vDC DIN-rail power supply, and connect to any 120v circuit.... as long as the inverter is running and providing 120vAC to 'load' that's your best bet.

I used the Tigo TS4-a-2F units on my last off-grid install, and have to say that I am very unhappy with them.... they were fine late summer and into the fall and early winter. BUT, once night temps dropped below freezing, I have noticed 'intermittent' mornings with late production start due to false Tigo shutdown of PV voltage. I've spent hours checking connections, but am reaching the conclusion that the -2F module units are just not very reliable. Unacceptable in an off-grid install....

Thank you so much!
Chris Sypolt
I will assume you have the rss modules you need. Like me though, I will assume Signature Solar (if that's where you got the stuff) decided that you, like me, didn't need the whole $145 kit which included a weatherproof box, the din rail and the power supply... the power supply is the glaring omission. The other items can be done with other basic organization solutions depending upon your needs. The power has to come from a breaker that is powered by the PV system that the RSS is intended to Rapidly Shut Down... And the spec sheet on the TIGO single core RSS Transmitter indicates it needs 12vdc .88 (1 amp). I bought a din rail mountable power supply with 120/240vac input and 12vdc output 1 amp from Amazon. It works all day long. I hope this helps.

Back