diy solar

diy solar

Neutral-Ground and Earth Ground questions for off grid camp

BattleAxe

Getting ready to set up my system in my off-grip shipping container camp. I'm wondering about neutral-ground bonding and earth grounding. My nverter (shipped in Nov of 22) has the bonding screw removed. I have had this equipment for a while now but I am just now getting around to installation. See diagram, and if you can help answer my questions I would really appreciate it.Camp Electrical.jpg

Every metallic component of the building, includi g the building itself needs to be connected to the main grounding conductor.

The conductor needs to be connected to a ground rod, or two, depending on the site, and the neutral must be seperate from all grounding conductors except in the first disconnecting means, and it must be tied to the geounding conductor there.

This building electrical is NOT connected to another building electeical system,correct?

There’s a recent good thread on this. And there are scores of threads on this in general. A couple below.

I feel like the two grounding rod deal may be misunderstood based on your diagram. I think the requirement is two grounding rods, not greater than 6 (?)[EDIT-I THINK ITS “AT LEAST 6 FEET] feet apart, and bonded together. The purpose of which is to be a connection to the earth.

In my mind I think of these two rods as the single earth ground.

I don’t think this is what people think when they hear two grounding rods.

Not to criticize @Supervstech at all but I have a hard time understanding “neutral must be separate from all grounding conductors except in the first disconnecting means….”

I think there is only one neutral ground bond and I guess the first disconnecting means is the breaker box?

PS-listen to @Supervstech instead of me in all things. 😁

Last edited:
There’s a recent good thread on this. And there are scores of threads on this in general. A couple below.

I feel like the two grounding rod deal may be misunderstood based on your diagram. I think the requirement is two grounding rods, not greater than 6 (?) feet apart, and bonded together. The purpose of which is to be a connection to the earth.

In my mind I think of these two rods as the single earth ground.

I don’t think this is what people think when they hear two grounding rods.

Not to criticize @Supervstech at all but I have a hard time understanding “neutral must be separate from all grounding conductors except in the first disconnecting means….”

I think there is only one neutral ground bond and I guess the first disconnecting means is the breaker box?

PS-listen to @Supervstech instead of me in all things. 😁

Thank Ya!
Any misunderstanding is on my part, I know just enough to be dangerous. I didn't know if I needed multiple grounds or not.
BUT
I think it does answer part of it. SO.... I should ground the building (shipping containers) to the same ground rod as the main panel, correct?

the PV Array will have a ground of its own correct?3

The other question I am wondering about is the generator (BTW it is an inverter generator). Should I worry about grounding it? Since it is before the panel and runs into the EG4 Inverter, do I need to protect the Eg4 from the generator with an isolated ground just for the generator? This may be a dumb question to some, but it is only a reflection of my electrical ignorance. 🤷‍♀️

I think it’s one earth ground (of two rods bonded together at least (this is a correction) 6’ apart.

And all your metal stuff bonded together and bonded to your earth ground.

So no, no separate ground rod at the array. Everything bonded together and connected to the earth ground.

I don’t think there are any separate grounds. Generator or otherwise.

Please wait for others to jump in, I’m pretty sure I know less than you.

Thank Ya!
Any misunderstanding is on my part, I know just enough to be dangerous. I didn't know if I needed multiple grounds or not.
BUT
I think it does answer part of it. SO.... I should ground the building (shipping containers) to the same ground rod as the main panel, correct?

the PV Array will have a ground of its own correct?3

The other question I am wondering about is the generator (BTW it is an inverter generator). Should I worry about grounding it? Since it is before the panel and runs into the EG4 Inverter, do I need to protect the Eg4 from the generator with an isolated ground just for the generator? This may be a dumb question to some, but it is only a reflection of my electrical ignorance. 🤷‍♀️
No.
All grounding posts must be bonded to the building egc.
NEC allows rods at the array, but it is not recommended or required except in some municipalities.

Bond only in the panel.

Generator should be unbonded and does not need a ground rod, it should have a four wire connection to the panel and be grounded through that.

Bond only in the panel.

Generator should be unbonded and does not need a ground rod, it should have a four wire connection to the panel and be grounded through that.
Generator goes into inverter 120V 3 wire Ground/Neutral/Hot. So will it get its ground from the panel as well, even though it’s the source?

You already decided what to do with the 120v panel wiring?

Some people add a jumper so both bus bars in the panel are on the one leg. I think I might just get a bigger panel and zig zag on one working bus bar. Idk, it would just feel more right to me.

Hire a electrian and make sure there license number is on the invoice. Might not stop from having your ass sued off but at least you will know your not responsible for a death.

Hire a electrian and make sure there license number is on the invoice. Might not stop from having your ass sued off but at least you will know your not responsible for a death.
It’s my own off grid hunting camp, I’m not real concerned about getting sued. But thanks for the advice, I guess.

That raises a question though, can your generator be unbonded? Some 120v gens can't and that would be a challenge.

You already decided what to do with the 120v panel wiring?

Some people add a jumper so both bus bars in the panel are on the one leg. I think I might just get a bigger panel and zig zag on one working bus bar. Idk, it would just feel more right to me.
Not that far along just yet.

Back