diy solar

diy solar

New 5p12s LTO bank.

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
Just finished my new 5.5 kilo watt LTO pack. I've been contemplating this for over a year and finally put it all together.

0915202031a.jpg

I custom built 12 4x11 bus bars and 1 2x20 bus bar
Plus the terminals are 1x4x6 solid aluminum tapped to allow set screws to clamp cables in.

0916202153a.jpg

Topped the cells with 1/2 inch starboard (hdpe)
Also wrapped positive terminal so no chance of errant arking. Beneath the Chargery display is a set of terminals to make ease of hooking up BMS .

Have 2 USB current shunts hooked to a Raspberry pi to monitor incoming and outgoing amps.

0916202157.jpg

Everything encased in Ridgid tool box.

Will monitor temperature to see if I need vents and fans.
Total cost about $3500.00 plus about 16 hours labor. If I get 30,000 cycles that's about $.0218 per kilowatt. If I live that long it will be well worth it lol.
0914201931.jpg
0915202102.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome job. You should adhere a wiring diagram/manual/troubleshooting guide to the inside of the job box. That way, 40 years from now the person that inherits it will know what to do with it for the next 40 years...

Awesome job. You should adhere a wiring diagram/manual/troubleshooting guide to the inside of the job box. That way, 40 years from now the person that inherits it will know what to do with it for the next 40 years...
Forget the next person I need the wiring diagram as I will forget in 4 months lol.

Awesomeness. I've been researching to make a similar one. about to start buying parts. love the rigid box!

How do you charge? how fast can you charge using a generator or grid power ?

Fast charging and longevity is why I'm so interested in LTO

Thanks

I charge with 2 Midnite solar Classic 250's the thing is I cant get enough panels to charge these things as fast as they can be charged. Even if I charged at a 5c rate they would take 30kw and charge in about 12 minutes. Plus I don't know what size of wires would need to charge at 1250 amps. The nice thing though is knowing it is pretty much impossible to hurt them by charging or discharging too fast. I guess it could be possible to charge at full rate using some sort of EV charger.

Any links you could post for high voltage supercharging? or how to engineer high voltage supercharge?

Example. How would 220v convert to lets say 440v and @ 30 amps to = 13,200 watts. and what would be an interface to control that power to this kind of LTO setup?

Any links you could post for high voltage supercharging? or how to engineer high voltage supercharge?

Example. How would 220v convert to lets say 440v and @ 30 amps to = 13,200 watts. and what would be an interface to control that power to this kind of LTO setup?
Sorry I have no clue it was really just a thought.

But.... what you would need to do is find a way to reduce the 400 volts to around 35 volts maybe a few of these things in parallel to increase the amp rate.

I need 12s LTO BMSes for solar install located high in the Rockies. Low temp immunity is main reason for LTO choice. What do you recommend?
--

Back