diy solar

diy solar

New here, and any help greatly appreciated!

Scrappy Doo

What's up everyone! I am really new the solar world and learning fast. In many ways I put the cart before the carriage as they say because I already started ordering stuff. The very first rule I have read is figure out how much power you need first. This cannot be done for me as this is just the start of what's to come. Like a few others I have read about, I too mine crypto. Been in the game a long time and looking for long term solutions to offset my electricity. My bill runs anywhere from $5k - 12k @ .1kwh a month depending on what type and how many machines I turn on. I have a lot of machines that are actually not running (about 75%) due to cost is greater than gain. I want to be able to take advantage of these till they are totally useless. With that said. I wanted to start simple and keep adding as I go. My Electric company said it would take around 750k watts of solar to offset it all, and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. :) Also I own 8 houses in my area so I can use net metering to feed all of them if I'm not using it on machines. All in all, I have use for a large system in the long term and going to take advantage of it. I have 70 acres free at my location, so the only limit is my funds. Which are no where near what they were when BTC was up. :(

I have a 400amp single phase transformer which should be enough till I get really big. It will cost me ~$20k for construction to go to 3 phase.

I am building my Rack Mounts myself with my wife help. She's an architect and her structural engineers will check it for free. Also the price of wood has finally come back down to where you don't need to give blood at least.

With that said, I come to you experts for advice and questions to something I may be doing wrong or if there is a better way. Here is what I have ordered so far.

1. Pallet (27) of Hyundai HiS-S365KI 365 48v Panels - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144926139125

2. Midnite Solar MNPV3 Photovoltaic 3 String Combiner, 600V, 20A - https://www.ebay.com/itm/334728924622

3. 3 20amp breakers for Midnite String Combiner - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EQK8SA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. 48V 10KW Solar Hybrid Inverter 120/240V Split Phase 200A MPPT Charge Controller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/285106364164

My questions start here.

1. Is this equipment good/usable for my first array?

2. Do I need to return anything as you think there is better I could get? Or a better price? Every dime I save is that much closer to the next array.

3. I know this a hybrid inverter and I will not be using the batteries at the start, but will add some to power the building with all the equipment in it. Lights/Fans/Batteries/PC etc. Other than that is this a suitable inverter?

4. I know I will need pv cables to run from the array to the combiner. It appears these are pretty much all the same. I haven't seen/noticed sizes other than length. Correct? If so, I have also been told to buy premade cables instead of making them myself. Your thoughts?

5. If the combiner box is say 150' away from the inverter, will 10awg wire carry the current? Or do I need to move to 8awg. I can't find a lot of info on this.

6. What parts/supplies do you see I have overlooked to get this up and running on the grid?

Thank you all in advance! The inverter is here already, the panels are due tomorrow, and the String combiner early next week. I am starting on the racks this week and will definitely post progression pics.

James

Welcome.

You'll have better luck getting responses if you ask just one or two specific questions.

$5000 per month electric bill minimum? 50,000 kWh @ 10 cents/kwh? The 13kW of modules you've ordered if sited perfectly will produce almost 20,000 kWh per year.

Well it looks like you got your work cut out for you
you have 2 mppt inputs on your charge controller but you bought a 3 to 1 combiner box might consider a 4 to 2 box check max amps I think you are limited to 20 per mppt so depending on the setup 9s2p would be 427 volt at 18+ amps
but depending on temperature adjustment you may only be able to do 8s you cannot go over 500 volt that’s a max on that unit and leaving a little headroom is a good idea
looking at the specs I think your allowed 5500 watts per mppt which some will exceed called over paneling so running 8s2p will give you 5840 per mppt and keep you under 400 volts
running 10 gage at 20 amps 400 volts looks to be ok about a 2% loss
you need to double check the manuals, the specs on the panels and my math but this gives you something to think about on your system design

Welcome.

You'll have better luck getting responses if you ask just one or two specific questions.

$5000 per month electric bill minimum? 50,000 kWh @ 10 cents/kwh? The 13kW of modules you've ordered if sited perfectly will produce almost 20,000 kWh per year.
I guess I didn't explain it well. Let me try again.

My bill averages 5k-12k a month depending how many machines I run. My electric company charges .1 per kwh. So yes on a low month I use 50kWh.

I actually got 27 panels @ 365 watts each so a total of 9855 watts at max.

I realize this will in no way cover my needs, but it is the beginning of a much larger system. I intend to continually add to this system and eventually going to 3 phase.

Thanks a ton for the response!

James

Well it looks like you got your work cut out for you
you have 2 mppt inputs on your charge controller but you bought a 3 to 1 combiner box might consider a 4 to 2 box check max amps I think you are limited to 20 per mppt so depending on the setup 9s2p would be 427 volt at 18+ amps
but depending on temperature adjustment you may only be able to do 8s you cannot go over 500 volt that’s a max on that unit and leaving a little headroom is a good idea
looking at the specs I think your allowed 5500 watts per mppt which some will exceed called over paneling so running 8s2p will give you 5840 per mppt and keep you under 400 volts
running 10 gage at 20 amps 400 volts looks to be ok about a 2% loss
you need to double check the manuals, the specs on the panels and my math but this gives you something to think about on your system design
So I got the wrong combiner box. Do I have too many panels for the inverter? I see the inverter has a max of 22 amp for each MPPT. Where you lost me was
so depending on the setup 9s2p would be 427 volt at 18+ amps
What does this mean?
looking at the specs I think your allowed 5500 watts per mppt
It does not list per mppt, just 11,000 total.
which some will exceed called over paneling so running 8s2p will give you 5840 per mppt and keep you under 400 volts
I don't understand the 9s2p/8s2p your referring to. Do I need something else not in the list of purchased?
the specs on the panels
s-l500.jpg

Thanks a ton again guys!

James

So I got the wrong combiner box. Do I have too many panels for the inverter? I see the inverter has a max of 22 amp for each MPPT. Where you lost me was

What does this mean?

It does not list per mppt, just 11,000 total.

I don't understand the 9s2p/8s2p your referring to. Do I need something else not in the list of purchased?

View attachment 134914

Thanks a ton again guys!

James
You don’t need a 3 to 1, two strings will give you 18+ amps a third string will just get clipped of by the scc you would have to separate it from the other 2 strings and put it in the other scc(mppt)

you can do that 2 ways a 4 to 2 combiner box check out watts24/7 they sell a good box or branch connectors and fuse the strings

one major problem is you have bought a bunch of solar equipment thinking it’s plug and play(pray) if you do that you are going to smoke equipment or worst yet kill yourself, dc in the hundreds of volts is bad juju you need to do a lot of research and design your system before you put anything together

post your system design on here for review there are a lot of real top shelf experts that will help you but you have to
have a basic knowledge and understanding of terminology and systems such as panel configuration ie 8s or 8p, 6s3p or some other configuration and what each configuration does, max voc adjusted for temperature, correct fuse types, understanding dc and ac parts are not always interchangeable there can be a lot of pit falls that can end badly

my recommendation is unless you are willing to do a lot of research and studying hire a professional installer
you said in the beginning you put the cart before the horse to be brutally honest I’m not sure you have either at the moment please be careful

My bill averages 5k-12k a month depending how many machines I run. My electric company charges .1 per kwh. So yes on a low month I use 50kWh.

I actually got 27 panels @ 365 watts each so a total of 9855 watts at max.

I realize this will in no way cover my needs, but it is the beginning of a much larger system. I intend to continually add to this system and eventually going to 3 phase.
I suspect that the system you're starting off with could end up being pretty clumsy thus expensive to expand into what you ultimately want to do.

Look for the PV Watts link in my signature link to see what size of array you're going to need if you've haven't already.

50,000 to 12,000 kWh per month works out to a base load of 7kW to 17 kW 24 hours per day.

Sol-Ark is about to release a 30kW and 60kW 3 phase inverter. You might take a peek at that.

And the panels you have, perfectly sited with low horizons, no shade or cast shadows and full sun for the entire month will generate:

365watts x 27 panels= 9855 Watts x 5.5 hours = 54,202 Watt hours per perfect day.
That is 54.2 kwh. @$0.10/ kwh=$5.00
Per day.
Your use is 50,000 kwh per month/ 30 days= 1666.66 kwh per day.
So, 1666 kwh per day / 54.2 kwh per day =
About 30 of those arrays.

And remember we assumed perfect weather, maximum name plate output on the solar panels.

It's good you have 70 acres. You'll need it.

Last edited:
Back