diy solar

diy solar

New (Old Member) Checking in

paul65k

Hi I just found (refound) this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have been “Messing” with solar on my RV for about 6 years now, and actually installed a grid tied system on a vacation home about 9 years ago using enphase micro-inverters, man has that one paid off in spades in California on a NM1 plan !!

Anyhow back to the RV, I’m currently running 4200W of Solar panels (15x280W Bi-facial panels) on a fully tilting solar rack through a Victron 150/100 and 100/70 feeding (10) Lion Energy 105Ah batteries. The system consists of (2) Victron Multiplus 24/3000-70 inverters powering all circuits in the coach including both rooftop AC/Heatpump units.

The alternator feeds (2) Orion 12/24-30 DC-DC chargers and we have dual Orion 24-12/70 converters to service the 12V side which includes our hydraulic leveling system. The system is configured in split-phase anticipating a future mini-split installation with dual ceiling cassettes, the 240V circuit is already in place via a small subpanel when we’re ready. I also added a VIctron 100A Autotransformer so our onboard 7500W generator (120V) can feed both inverter/chargers when needed for battery charging or to run both AC units for extended periods.

All in all the system meets our needs fine, but we’re thinking of doubling the amount of battery storage so we can run one AC through the night when needed. I totally geeked out on this system, completely overbuilding but it seems once you get started there’s always one more thing.

Here’s a few pics and I’m looking forward to hanging around and geeking out with the rest of you!

Paul

Attachments

• Newest.jpg
    Newest.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Rack Up.JPG
    Rack Up.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 58
If the power out you can just camp out until it comes back.

Any plans to use the array at your home? It seems like a waste to not to use it when the RV is parked.

Maybe you can park it at your vacation house and make it pay off even more.

Looks very nice. Mind if I ask where you picked up the busbars for the battery bank?

Looks very nice. Mind if I ask where you picked up the busbars for the battery bank?
Thanks,
I purchased 1.25” x .25” copper bars and drilled them out. Added shrink to the bars before installing them.

Any plans to use the array at your home? It seems like a waste to not to use it when the RV is parked.

I probably would if it wasn’t parked inside a garage when not being used……. but it is like having a 3000 miles extension cord when we do travel ;)

I don't really get the point of the autotransformer. Isn't it limited to 32A on the neutral thus limiting you to 3800w from the 7500w? I can see the point of being able to utilize both of the inverters to charge since each inverter can charge 1700w, but I'm assuming it would be better to disable switch as group so you can run 7500w through the inverters even though only charge 1700w. Also you'd still get the split-phase power in the RV since inverter2 would be inverting.

I'd think it would be better to just get a 2nd charger and plug into the generator. I'm assuming its a QD7500 with single phase and provides a 50 and 20amp built in breaker. Could run the 50a to the main inverter then the 20a to the 2nd charger. Also it'd give you a backup charger just incase any issues.

This is exactly my plans on my coach. Just waiting for the VM-3P75CT to come in so i can configure the RV to backfeed into my house's panel through the 50a shore. It'll use the batteries/solar to offload some of my usage

I'm loving the rig and the way you mounted everything is genius and very efficient use of space with providing enough room for heat to escape.

How's the tilting going? I'm assuming with bifacial panels they're always tilted when parked? Do you have any stats on the performance of closed vs open?

I don't really get the point of the autotransformer. Isn't it limited to 32A on the neutral thus limiting you to 3800w from the 7500w? I can see the point of being able to utilize both of the inverters to charge since each inverter can charge 1700w, but I'm assuming it would be better to disable switch as group so you can run 7500w through the inverters even though only charge 1700w. Also you'd still get the split-phase power in the RV since inverter2 would be inverting.

I'd think it would be better to just get a 2nd charger and plug into the generator. I'm assuming its a QD7500 with single phase and provides a 50 and 20amp built in breaker. Could run the 50a to the main inverter then the 20a to the 2nd charger. Also it'd give you a backup charger just incase any issues.
didn't follow all of that because i don't know anything about generators, however, if i'm getting the gist of it, then the issue is a paired victron, setup for split phase can only be charged at 240VAC as a pair and the individual inverters cannot be charged at 120VAC separately

didn't follow all of that because i don't know anything about generators, however, if i'm getting the gist of it, then the issue is a paired victron, setup for split phase can only be charged at 240VAC as a pair and the individual inverters cannot be charged at 120VAC separately
No they definately can. There's an option called switch as group in VEsystem configure when you create the split phase setup. Below is mine and I have Quattro's so 2 inputs. AC1 is shore and AC2 is gen. I disable switch as group as I connect to 15a/120v shore often but also connect to 240V/50a shore.... But my generator is 240V so its not checked for the AC2. Victron is smart and it'll pull 120V in from 1 inverter then the 2nd inverter will pull from battery for split-phase so you have 120V in but 240V out. Now for OP he has 1700w charging (24v/70A) so Inverter 1 could pull in all 50a/6000w (transfer switch limit) then charge the battery 1700w while inverter2 is inverting 3000w from batteries. But when using 240V he's only get like 6kw/240v since the inverter2 can only invert 3000w even though the other is pumping out 6000w. But this is only for 240V loads or loads on inverter2.

If I'm right and the autotransformer is only 32A (3800w) for neutral then its throttling him as he can only pull 3800w from generator instead of 6000w. But the autotransformer would give 1900w to each inverter and with 3000w powerassist he'd be able to pull almost 10kw/240v instead of being limited to just the 6kw/240v. Also he'd be able to charge the batteries using both chargers thus 3400w instead of 1700w.

Its one of those things where you need to decide if you'd rather have more 240V power or optimize 120V loads to inverter1 and have more power overall. Also if you'd rather charge batteries faster or have more power when generator is running... but a separate charger would fix this, plus its always nice to have a spare charger just in case.

1711987152488.png

No they definately can. There's an option called switch as group in VEsystem configure when you create the split phase setup. Below is mine and I have Quattro's so 2 inputs. AC1 is shore and AC2 is gen. I disable switch as group as I connect to 15a/120v shore often but also connect to 240V/50a shore.... But my generator is 240V so its not checked for the AC2. Victron is smart and it'll pull 120V in from 1 inverter then the 2nd inverter will pull from battery for split-phase so you have 120V in but 240V out. Now for OP he has 1700w charging (24v/70A) so Inverter 1 could pull in all 50a/6000w (transfer switch limit) then charge the battery 1700w while inverter2 is inverting 3000w from batteries. But when using 240V he's only get like 6kw/240v since the inverter2 can only invert 3000w even though the other is pumping out 6000w. But this is only for 240V loads or loads on inverter2.

If I'm right and the autotransformer is only 32A (3800w) for neutral then its throttling him as he can only pull 3800w from generator instead of 6000w. But the autotransformer would give 1900w to each inverter and with 3000w powerassist he'd be able to pull almost 10kw/240v instead of being limited to just the 6kw/240v. Also he'd be able to charge the batteries using both chargers thus 3400w instead of 1700w.

Its one of those things where you need to decide if you'd rather have more 240V power or optimize 120V loads to inverter1 and have more power overall. Also if you'd rather charge batteries faster or have more power when generator is running... but a separate charger would fix this, plus its always nice to have a spare charger just in case.

View attachment 206260

if there are more options that would make my life easier i've been looking at different ways to convert 120VAC input from the grid into 240VAC to feed into my two multipluses paired for split phase. my knowledge of the setup came from currentconnected

Current Connected LLC <info@currentconnected.com> Feb 22, 2023, 3:15 PM

Now, as I mentioned – if you are setup for 120v/240v split phase, we need to address feeding it with 120v. You can’t feed 120v into only one inverter, it won’t transfer because the other inverter is measuring 0v. We can setup what is called split-phase (floating) which means if you are on 120v, the phase of inverter 2 will change to match inverter 1, and then both inverters can be fed from the 120v source. Important to note though, you won’t be able to power any 240v loads from this system when connected to 120v power.

harry Henderson <hendersonmotorcycles@gmail.com> Feb 22, 2023, 4:00 PM

let me lay out some permutation possibilities, tell me if they are correct or incorrect:

1. both inverters are on and plugged in to 120v grid, system can only power 120v appliances [no 240v is available]
2. both inverters are on and plugged in to 240v grid, system can power both 120v and 240v appliances
3. one inverter is on and plugged in to 120v grid, system can only power 120v appliances [no 240v is available]
4. one inverter is on and plugged in to 240v grid

if #1 is true, i assume i can run the 120v grid power through a step up transformer to 240v then it will be like #2?

Current Connected LLC <info@currentconnected.com> Feb 22, 2023, 4:03 PM

Scenario 1 & 2 are precise. Scenario 3 & 4 are not possible, as both inverters must be online at the same time when linked together in parallel for either to have output. Otherwise it triggers an error that the other inverter was not detected.

Yes, if you added a transformer to setup up 120v to 240v, the result of scenario 1 is now the same as scenario 2.

if there are more options that would make my life easier i've been looking at different ways to convert 120VAC input from the grid into 240VAC to feed into my two multipluses paired for split phase. my knowledge of the setup came from currentconnected

Current Connected LLC <info@currentconnected.com> Feb 22, 2023, 3:15 PM

Now, as I mentioned – if you are setup for 120v/240v split phase, we need to address feeding it with 120v. You can’t feed 120v into only one inverter, it won’t transfer because the other inverter is measuring 0v. We can setup what is called split-phase (floating) which means if you are on 120v, the phase of inverter 2 will change to match inverter 1, and then both inverters can be fed from the 120v source. Important to note though, you won’t be able to power any 240v loads from this system when connected to 120v power.

harry Henderson <hendersonmotorcycles@gmail.com> Feb 22, 2023, 4:00 PM

let me lay out some permutation possibilities, tell me if they are correct or incorrect:

1. both inverters are on and plugged in to 120v grid, system can only power 120v appliances [no 240v is available]
2. both inverters are on and plugged in to 240v grid, system can power both 120v and 240v appliances
3. one inverter is on and plugged in to 120v grid, system can only power 120v appliances [no 240v is available]
4. one inverter is on and plugged in to 240v grid

if #1 is true, i assume i can run the 120v grid power through a step up transformer to 240v then it will be like #2?

Current Connected LLC <info@currentconnected.com> Feb 22, 2023, 4:03 PM

Scenario 1 & 2 are precise. Scenario 3 & 4 are not possible, as both inverters must be online at the same time when linked together in parallel for either to have output. Otherwise it triggers an error that the other inverter was not detected.

Yes, if you added a transformer to setup up 120v to 240v, the result of scenario 1 is now the same as scenario 2.
Interesting, I just tested it. Confirmed I was getting 240ish volts on my 240v shore then disconnected and confirmed was inverting at 240v then plugged in a 50a to 15a adapter where it feeds both inverters 120v same phase.

System is smart enough to discover its same phase and only use 1 inverter then assist on 2. Confirmed was getting 223. 3v on my buddy plug (connected directly to out2 on inverters). Voltage wasn't moving at all or anything so has to be in sync.

This makes sense because the inverters sync up. I think CC was describing the MP 2x120 because that's kinda how it works as a single inverter. The 2x120 will pass thru 240v but it's only a 120v inverter.

Let me know if I missed anything in testing. I don't have any 240v loads yet but planning on a couple cooktops that are 240v

Attachments

• 20240401_150543.jpg
    20240401_150543.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240401_150456.jpg
    20240401_150456.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240401_150446_VRM.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_150446_VRM.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
maybe i need to know more about your "a 50a to 15a adapter where it feeds both inverters 120v same phase." is it feeding 120v to both inverters or just one? what is the source of these two 120v feeds? is it coming from a 240v source and being split or is coming from a 120v and being paralleled?

can you still get 240v out of your inverters if only one is getting 120v and the other one is getting nothing? and of course both inverters are still hooked up to the batteries

maybe i need to know more about your "a 50a to 15a adapter where it feeds both inverters 120v same phase." is it feeding 120v to both inverters or just one? what is the source of these two 120v feeds? is it coming from a 240v source and being split or is coming from a 120v and being paralleled?

can you still get 240v out of your inverters if only one is getting 120v and the other one is getting nothing? and of course both inverters are still hooked up to the batteries
Its something just like this link. It's connected to both inverters but since single phase the 2nd inverter rejects it and just feeds the 1. Plugged into normal house outlet via extension cord. On the inverters one shows inverting lights other has the charging lights.

Almost every RV adapter to 50v will connect both hots together, people used to say we needed to modify them but apparently not.

Yes I get 240v from the inverter output at all times, when inverting, when on 240v and when on 120v.

Hi I just found (refound) this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have been “Messing” with solar on my RV for about 6 years now, and actually installed a grid tied system on a vacation home about 9 years ago using enphase micro-inverters, man has that one paid off in spades in California on a NM1 plan !!

Anyhow back to the RV, I’m currently running 4200W of Solar panels (15x280W Bi-facial panels) on a fully tilting solar rack through a Victron 150/100 and 100/70 feeding (10) Lion Energy 105Ah batteries. The system consists of (2) Victron Multiplus 24/3000-70 inverters powering all circuits in the coach including both rooftop AC/Heatpump units.

The alternator feeds (2) Orion 12/24-30 DC-DC chargers and we have dual Orion 24-12/70 converters to service the 12V side which includes our hydraulic leveling system. The system is configured in split-phase anticipating a future mini-split installation with dual ceiling cassettes, the 240V circuit is already in place via a small subpanel when we’re ready. I also added a VIctron 100A Autotransformer so our onboard 7500W generator (120V) can feed both inverter/chargers when needed for battery charging or to run both AC units for extended periods.

All in all the system meets our needs fine, but we’re thinking of doubling the amount of battery storage so we can run one AC through the night when needed. I totally geeked out on this system, completely overbuilding but it seems once you get started there’s always one more thing.

Here’s a few pics and I’m looking forward to hanging around and geeking out with the rest of you!

Paul
That panel tilt is a slick setup!!

Did someone make that for you?

Back