diy solar

diy solar

New (Old Member) Checking in

I don't really get the point of the autotransformer. Isn't it limited to 32A on the neutral thus limiting you to 3800w from the 7500w? I can see the point of being able to utilize both of the inverters to charge since each inverter can charge 1700w, but I'm assuming it would be better to disable switch as group so you can run 7500w through the inverters even though only charge 1700w. Also you'd still get the split-phase power in the RV since inverter2 would be inverting.

I'd think it would be better to just get a 2nd charger and plug into the generator. I'm assuming its a QD7500 with single phase and provides a 50 and 20amp built in breaker. Could run the 50a to the main inverter then the 20a to the 2nd charger. Also it'd give you a backup charger just incase any issues.
I have the 100A version, they make 2.

The Onan 7500 makes ~32A on each leg (Same Phase), the Autotransformer simply changes the legs to 180* out of phase, but in either case, I do have the 100A version of the Autotransformer😉.

I apologize if I misunderstood your question 🤔

Last edited:
That panel tilt is a slick setup!!

Did someone make that for you?
Thank you, I designed it and we built it in our shop. We used 3 “Hall Effect” actuators run through a central control module via either a control panel or wireless remote. We do RV solar and electrical system upgrades here in AZ.

Interesting when I joined this forum 5 years ago I was a simple hobbyist but we turned it into a business (very busy) business a little over a year ago and haven’t looked back.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm loving the rig and the way you mounted everything is genius and very efficient use of space with providing enough room for heat to escape.

How's the tilting going? I'm assuming with bifacial panels they're always tilted when parked? Do you have any stats on the performance of closed vs open?
Well, I have some anecdotal musings, but haven’t really documented it totally but here goes….. In January with the panels tilting to the south in AZ I was able to almost double the production with the max tilt (~51*).
2 weeks ago I was in Tucson at an FMCA rally and had to park facing south so panels tilted west……. before 8 AM with the sun low on the horizon and the panels all the way up, I was able to make around 700W (out of 900 total) directly on the back of the panels….by 8 AM panels flat, was over 1000 (out of 3000W on face) and at around 11, I was seeing around 2200W on the face (out of 3000) with 1/2 tilt (25*) but never saw any more as the batteries were fully charged by then and I was away from the coach, so only was able to look at history on the Cerbo. In hindsight I should have turned on the heat pump to see what kind of output I could have seen….. next time!

Last edited:
Thank you, I designed it and we built it in our shop. We used 3 “Hall Effect” actuators run through a central control module via either a control panel or wireless remote. We do RV solar and electrical system upgrades here in AZ.

Interesting when I joined this forum 5 years ago I was a simple hobbyist but we turned it into a business (very busy) business a little over a year ago and haven’t looked back.

Cheers!

I tell ya what if I get a Class A I am coming there for that panel tilt design.

That is full on awesome!!

I have the 100A version, they make 2.

The Onan 7500 makes ~32A on each leg (Same Phase), the Autotransformer simply changes the legs to 180* out of phase, but in either case, I do have the 100A version of the Autotransformer😉.

I apologize if I misunderstood your question 🤔

Correct but the 100a just passes thru 100a and the neutral is still 32a according to the specs. Meaning you can only have 32a 120v coming in since that's the neutral limit.

Back