diy solar

diy solar

Newbie in Alaska - Battery storage question.

Hasson

We are in Alaska, we are setting up solar for our remote cabin. The cabin might sit unattended for a month or two in the winter until we get it built up enough for full time living.

We have 12v 100AH LiFePo4 batteries. We plan to charge them fully then completely disconnect all power sources & loads. Where our property is located it can spend a week or so at -20°F. What’s our best option for protecting our batteries? Do we need to schlep them there & back every time we go in the winter? If so, what if we’re only going to be gone for 2 weeks?

I’ve tried to find the answers for this but I’m getting a generic “cold weather preserves the battery” then the next line says cold can be detrimental. (I’m not sure the standard advice applies to is in Alaska.)

Thanks for the help!

I was going to say ...

They should be perfectly happy cold, even last longer that way.
You can't charge them until they warm back up.

... but then I looked at a couple data sheets, see -4F discharge, maybe -10F for storage.

What does your data sheet say about storage, charging, and discharging temperatures?

Lead-acid wins again? Page 13 says storage down to -67F, operation -40F

Lifepo4 batteries can be stored and discharged in low temperature environments, but they cannot be charged. It should be fine if stored for two weeks.

Back