diy solar

diy solar

No Inverter Setup

CabinProject2018

Hey everyone I'm looking to expand my solar set up at a seasonal off grid property and there is no need for an inverter and here comes the major question I have. How do I remove the inverter from the equation all together because all I need is to a few 12 volt lights and a few 12 volt sockets for phone chargers and thats all. but everything I see online dose not give me any information on the best way to do that and all my set up is " https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/the-minimalist-great-for-small-vans-and-cars.html " but again minus the inverter and I get so lost on how to wire the setup without one and part of that just has to do with some of my learning and comprehension skills where ive seen it done this way and I know it works but I don't know how to make what I want to do work without over thinking and a lot of second guessing myself. Any and all help would greatly be appreciated so thank you in advance.

You need an mppt to normalize the voltage off the panels. Panels give off anything from 0-voc voltage.

Why do you need lights if it's daylight?

The simplest answer is you just remove the inverter.

Wire your 12v loads directly to the battery.

That’s it.

Solar panels > MPPT > 12v battery > 12 loads

All you need is solar panels and a scc like a victron 100/20 or bigger connect this to a battery and you can hook a fuse panel to the battery and you are good to go

The simplest answer is you just remove the inverter.

Wire your 12v loads directly to the battery.

That’s it.

Solar panels > MPPT > 12v battery > 12 loads
I still want a fuse block too so Im also not sure how that would affect the fuses used to connect to the battery leads

Hey everyone I'm looking to expand my solar set up at a seasonal off grid property and there is no need for an inverter and here comes the major question I have. How do I remove the inverter from the equation all together because all I need is to a few 12 volt lights and a few 12 volt sockets for phone chargers and thats all. but everything I see online dose not give me any information on the best way to do that and all my set up is " https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/the-minimalist-great-for-small-vans-and-cars.html " but again minus the inverter and I get so lost on how to wire the setup without one and part of that just has to do with some of my learning and comprehension skills where ive seen it done this way and I know it works but I don't know how to make what I want to do work without over thinking and a lot of second guessing myself. Any and all help would greatly be appreciated so thank you in advance.
Here is a picture of the system you referenced. Just don't install the wires and inverter with the red x on them. Hook your dc loads to the dc fuseblock with correct wires size, 125% of whatever the load is, and make sure the fuse in your fuseblock matches that or just more.

dsc08364.jpg

I have a small hunting cabin with exactly the set up you are asking about.

I have only one small solar panel and a EPever Tracer 30A MPPT SCC. I have two 100Ah 12V LiFePo4 batteries in parrallel that are charged from the SCC. When i bougt the cabin there were about 10 lamps each with a 15 W incandecent bulb. I replaced them with LED bulbs that each draw either 1 or 3 watts, and of course that brugt down the consumption to next to nothing. So the battery pack is a bit overkill. Still it is nice to have excess power when the panel is so small, so I keep it that way.

I find it easy to buy 12 V gear made for camping and RV´s . I bought both cables, fuses, lamps and a waterpump at the camping/ outdoor shops on line. At some point I thought about installing an inverter and going 220 V AC (I´m in Europe), but I don´t want to make things more complicated than they need to, so I stay with the 12 volts.

Here´s a picture of the cabin. You can see the panel at the left of the windows.

Sundown.JPG

Last edited:
I've gone inverterless too (for some reason, the PowerQueen 100-Minis don't like inverters; sparks like mad even with resistors). It's setup just like the photo Dave In AZ had posted, except my positive 12V goes to a fuse block and the negative 12V goes to a small busbar. Though I would size your fuses properly (the 13amp coffee maker blew out my 15amp fuse; in goes a 20amp).

Easily done, my small home has both DC lightning when the inverter is off and AC lightning when inverter is on or when generator is on. I use cheap 12vdc trailer tail lights and led bulbs. Remove the covers to let more light out. For more brightness positive wire to both hot leads on tail light. Less use one hot lead. Then get you a cigarette lighter adapter with reciptical for usb also at auto part store. Everything DC wired to battery positive and negative respective. Get you a small solar panel that puts out around 16vdc and that's it you are all done. And enough braided wire for your lights and charger. Note don't buy solid wire multi strand 14 guage or an old extension cord will work for everything

Here is a picture of the system you referenced. Just don't install the wires and inverter with the red x on them. Hook your dc loads to the dc fuseblock with correct wires size, 125% of whatever the load is, and make sure the fuse in your fuseblock matches that or just more.

View attachment 194368
Actually, the example referenced and where the image is from, should use the DC-Loads terminals on the charge controller for the DC-loads. In this example there is no low voltage protection of the battery for the DC-loads.

Actually, the example referenced and where the image is from, should use the DC-Loads terminals on the charge controller for the DC-loads. In this example there is no low voltage protection of the battery for the DC-loads.
No idea what your comment means. The OP referenced a build by Will Prowse, the owner of this forum. He wanted to know how to remove the inverter, using Wills design. He didn't ask for a different design, just how to build that one with no inverter.

Why would a lithium battery need a low voltage protection even? The BMS stops them discharging at a certain point already.

Last edited:
Back