diy solar

diy solar

Noise (volume) comparison of different hybrid inverters

Kylepharmd

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere in the forum, but all of my searching mostly leads to electrical interference noise. I'm hoping to install a new system in Puerto Rico. Most convenient location of things would be grid-tied hybrid inverter and batteries along the wall of our carport with panels on the roof of the carport. The carport is roofed up to the main house and we'll protected from the rain. I think I'll only need about 4000w of panels so the carport roof is a nice location as I can walk out onto it from our second story balcony (and therefore easily bring them inside if a hurricane is headed our way).

Main panel is in the kitchen which runs along the car port so that's convenient location as well. My only concern is our main floor is all open air (no AC) so the windows are always open and the only space for the inverter will be on the wall outside the kitchen within 2-4 feet of the window.

The inverters I'm considering are the sol-ark (8k or 12k), EG4 18kpv, or the EG4 6000xp (6000xp most likely due to budget). What I'm wondering is how these compare in terms of noise from the fans and inverter hum. Will they be super annoying right outside the open kitchen window? Are there other hybrid inverters around this size I should also be considering?

I also have a partially enclosed back porch/laundry area that could also be a good location for the batteries and inverter (noise would be less bothersome), but it would involve a much longer run to both the solar panels and main electric panel (maybe 75').

On page 58 of the EG4 6000 xp manual the noise emission generation is listed as 58dB - it doesn't specify how far from the inverter this was measured, likely very close.
Most inverters list the noise level, I found this one by searching "dB"

Attachments

• EG4 6000XP Manual - 1.1.7-61.pdf
    152.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for that! Just followed your advice and did a quick search and found the following:
  • EG4 18kpv: Noise Emission 68dB @3ft
  • EG4 6000xp: Noise emission (typical) <58 dB
  • Sol-ark 8K, 12k, & 15k: noise < 30 dB
So from these specs, the sol-ark is definitely the quietest. Unfortunately, it's also the most expensive. If anyone has experience using these in places where you actually spend a decent amount of time, I'd be curious to know what the experience is like from a noise perspective. I'm hoping to go with the 6000xp due to price (and the ability to easily expand capacity if needed by adding a second unit).

My experience is that most of the noise is generated by the scc.
I have 2 mpp 7.2kw all in ones and if there is sun, it is like a plane taking off.

Due to different reasons i don't use the SCCs in these inverters anymore and have installed Victron charge controllers besides these units. Now they are very quite, since they only take care of the inverting part and supply energy from the batteries / SCCs.

The Solis 5G HVES and the replacement Solis S6 have no fans ( huge heat sinks ), but you have to use high voltage UL9540 batteries approved for these hybrids

LOL... like my "Fanless design, long lifespan" Solis which has 2 fans inside? ;)

1702030407638-png.181700
img_20230205_184157-jpg.133773

(see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/solis-s5-various-issues.52383/post-701914 for an internal breakdown)

The Solis 5G HVES and the replacement Solis S6 have no fans ( huge heat sinks ), but you have to use high voltage UL9540 batteries approved for these hybrids
What does a high voltage battery mean here? Would most 48v batteries be compatible. It also looks like the Solis would be a good bit more expensive to get to a split phase, whole home backup (compared to the EG4 and even sol-ark).

Can you hear those being in the internal sealed case?
Good grief, yes ?. Though the fans only kick in when DC charging or discharging of battery above about 40A. Mine are in a garage - I had been using a 3.6kW RHI 5G version for 15 months, which would make a buzzy but somewhat gentle whir. Now I also have a newer EH1P 6kW 5G Solis, which makes a more distinct whir, again when charging or discharging of battery above about 40A. You wouldn't want them indoors.

For just PV to AC conversion they seem silent.

Thanks for that! Just followed your advice and did a quick search and found the following:
  • EG4 18kpv: Noise Emission 68dB @3ft
  • EG4 6000xp: Noise emission (typical) <58 dB
  • Sol-ark 8K, 12k, & 15k: noise < 30 dB
So from these specs, the sol-ark is definitely the quietest. Unfortunately, it's also the most expensive. If anyone has experience using these in places where you actually spend a decent amount of time, I'd be curious to know what the experience is like from a noise perspective. I'm hoping to go with the 6000xp due to price (and the ability to easily expand capacity if needed by adding a second unit).
Since you plan to put them outside, I don't believe the noise will be very noticable. Your installation is on a wall, 2-4 feet from a window, on the exterior {If I read the description correctly} so the noise is going to be far from your daily activities, and hopefully a breath of wind in the right direction will carry the sound away from the window.
Like Seagal described, I put my inverters in a garage/shop area far from my living space. I hardly notice them in the shop where there are plenty of other sources of noise. They are most noticable on a bright sunny Saturday when the shop is quiet. I am glad I didn't put inverters inside my home (next door) they would be too noticable inside.
In your car port set up, if the inverters are too loud would you be able to build a small cabinet over them? something with some vents in the front but cut off the noise somewhat?

Back