diy solar

diy solar

Odd behavior from my EG4 18KPV inverter

tmprof

So I'm pretty good about monitoring my system daily to make sure my system is working properly. I installed everything last November and it's been rock-solid since I installed. Inverter was on firmware fAAB-1717. I have 6 EG4 LifePower batteries and 24 panels split into 3 strings. Usually, my panels start producing around 9:30am and by noon - 1pm, they are producing 8-9000 watts and my batteries are full. Since I have Net-zero setup, after the batteries hit full, the panels drop the power produced to just what the house needs.

This weekend, I noticed that my batteries were sitting around 88%, it was fully sunny outside, and my panels were only producing about 500 watts (what the house needs). I first thought there was something wrong with the panels or batteries, but I quickly noticed that if I turned off the breaker for 1 of the solar strings, the other 2 strings would compensate for the loss (only what the house needs). I rebooted my inverter and within a few mins, it was producing full power from the panels and my batteries were full within the hour.

Yesterday, I updated the firmware on the inverter to fAAB-1919, I hope this fixes the issue and I'll be monitoring closely today. Before this happened, I had not made any changes to my inverter settings in months.

Does anyone have an idea what happened?
-Troy

Back