diy solar

diy solar

Off grid in far west Texas, howdy y'all!

WrethaOffGrid

My hubby and I live 100% off grid, in a small hand built castle, on a mountain side in the high desert of far west Texas, since Dec '07. Our solar system is small, we live pretty lite, we currently run 2 separate 12 volt solar systems.

1st system - 400 watts solar panels, Xantrex C60 charge controller, 2000 watt Bestek modified sinewave inverter, 4 Duracell GC2 golf cart batteries.
2nd system - 640 watts solar panels, MakeSkyBlue 60A MPPT charge controller, 3000W Renogy pure sinewave inverter, 1-100Ah BattleBorn battery.

We just recently added the second system with the BattleBorn battery, I am about to order a second BattleBorn battery to add to that system. We have done all the work ourselves, learning as we go.

When we were designing the second system, I was going to use sealed or gel batteries, but upon further investigation, I found that they tend to have a shorter life than flooded lead acid, even though the price had come way down, I was very disappointed. I knew about Lithium batteries but also knew they were expensive (up front) and I had heard they needed special (read:expensive) equipment to hook up to them, not to mention all the issues I'd "heard" about Lithium batteries.

That's when I discovered Will Prowse on YouTube and BattleBorn batteries. I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $$$ on BattleBorn, it was the best decision, I think of all the money I spent over the years on deep cycle batteries, I'm hard on them, I wish the BattleBorn's had been available back when we first started.

Welcome WrethaOffGrid!

Battleborn makes some great batteries! Flooded lead acid is a serious pain (check out the battery FAQ if you want to be amused with some of the issues).

Back