diy solar

diy solar

Order of operations when installing for grid tied?

justinm001

Solar Addict
I'm finally getting into building solar array for my houses and confused on the order on how to do a self install. So far I have 4 pallets of panels and a SolarEdge 10kw inverter. This will be specifically for AEP WV (Appalachian Electric Power) net metering. My sole goal is to save on electricity costs. Do I install the panels and everything then hope they approve the net metering or do all the paperwork, get approved then start the install?

Looks like I can install without backfeeding to the grid which seems like an ideal situation so I can get all configured then if approved and new meter installed I can just reprogram to feed to grid.

Also I read that some electric allows net metering across multiple properties. I have 2 houses in WV, one has a massive roof perfect for solar while the other is horrible as a old home with all kinds of angles so likely will not have any or will just have a bit on detatched garages. On top of this I have 2 offices on AEP ohio but leased properties. I pay around $2000/mo for electric for all 4 spots at like $.10/kwh so if I could build as large as possible in 1 spot and have it offset the electric of other spots I could save a decent chunk of cash. Is this possible?

The properties are airbnbs that are mainly rented Thurs-Sun so I'll likely be installing myself or have some unskilled labor helping out and we'll have to slowly build over a month or two when its not rented.

I'm a bit concerned installing solar panels in the middle of coal country where there's literally a coal train stop in the small town for people to get on and head to the mines. Has anyone had a problem with anti-solar people? I haven't seen any solar around except there's an array with some odd wind turbine on top of the mountain way above our house.

Do I install the panels and everything then hope they approve the net metering or do all the paperwork, get approved then start the install?
Do the paperwork and get the guidelines sounds like the best plan. They might not approve your equipment, anyway, plus (and not being mean or demeaning) it sounds like your proficiency with electrical is somewhat low, so there’s code things an electrician would know off the top of his head that you will need to discover.

So get their process started and thereby make sure you won’t be wasting your time by not getting approved and having do-overs.

Do the paperwork and get the guidelines sounds like the best plan. They might not approve your equipment, anyway, plus (and not being mean or demeaning) it sounds like your proficiency with electrical is somewhat low, so there’s code things an electrician would know off the top of his head that you will need to discover.

So get their process started and thereby make sure you won’t be wasting your time by not getting approved and having do-overs.
I totally get electricity and solar just dont get the code things and all the business side.

So you need to draw up plans and get it all approved before you even start? Im not really getting how it won't be approved and all that. I can see them needing conduit or something added or removed before I'm allowed to use but Idk if there's any reason they'd straight up say no and I'd need to rip the panels off the roof.

Even if not approved I assuming I can just not backfeed and still offset my daily usage for that property. Worst case get batteries to offset it all day.

totally get electricity and solar just dont get the code things and all the business side
Ok. But there’s a lot of ‘code things’ that are parts of ‘get(-ing) electricity.’
Im not really getting how it won't be approved and all that. I can see them needing conduit or something added or removed before I'm allowed to use but Idk if there's any reason they'd straight up say no
There are services where you can pay to compile projects with your equipment and they apply for the permit in your name.

The Electric company should be the first thing so you know what their requirements are like maximum array size and such.

Legally you have to have a permit before any construction begins, and getting a solar permit can be somewhat of a challenge if you don't know all the required codes to meet like roof wind loading, racking, conduit, disconnects and shutdown hardware. I would recommend you look up greenlancer, they can do all the paperwork for you including the require PE stamp and letter which at that point you can apply for a permit.

How much solar in your area? Just guessing not a whole lot.

Sometimes if you try and connect too much solar
to a small utility transformer 10kva of solar on a 5kva transformer, the utility will ask you to upsize the transformer and your service connection. This is a cost that should be sorted out before anything is bought.

Even if not approved I assuming I can just not backfeed and still offset my daily usage for that property. Worst case get batteries to offset it all day.
Not legal. You still need an interconnection agreement if going without batteries. If going with batteries then you need to make sure the system does not operate in parallel with grid, even with zero export turned on.

Solar installers are sometimes happy to install systems before the permit / interconnection agreement are approved. But in that case, they know the rules better and they (in theory) deal with the consequences if they gambled wrong.

The Electric company should be the first thing so you know what their requirements are like maximum array size and such.

Legally you have to have a permit before any construction begins, and getting a solar permit can be somewhat of a challenge if you don't know all the required codes to meet like roof wind loading, racking, conduit, disconnects and shutdown hardware. I would recommend you look up greenlancer, they can do all the paperwork for you including the require PE stamp and letter which at that point you can apply for a permit.

Sweet thanks. So no one's allowed to install solar on their roof without a permit? Guess that kinda makes sense.

So like do you get the permitting and everything then they install the new meter then you begin? Or do you get permit then install then they inspect then install the meter?

They have a whole packet below just haven't dug through it all. I was hoping I could install the solar and inverter and get all working without backfeeding to grid, then deal with permitting and all that and get the new meter, and get the real savings.

How much solar in your area? Just guessing not a whole lot.

Sometimes if you try and connect too much solar
to a small utility transformer 10kva of solar on a 5kva transformer, the utility will ask you to upsize the transformer and your service connection. This is a cost that should be sorted out before anything is bought.
None that I can see. It's a small town of 2200 ppl or so. Even surrounding I haven't seen any

More. I think 200a in basement then 200a on 2nd floor, plus 2 50a panels for the pool. All feeding off multiple panels connected to the meter box.
Do you have one meter?
If so you typically only have one entrance panel running everything.
In your situation I’d recommend an electrician to come in for an hour to look things over. I think there’s a lot of important and critical details you might be missing that need to be accounted for before installing a solar power system.

Paperwork first. While waiting you could rough in the panels, inverter, etc, but I'd wait for final paper approval before closing things in. Never know if they might throw some weird requirements at you.

Do you have one meter?
If so you typically only have one entrance panel running everything.
In your situation I’d recommend an electrician to come in for an hour to look things over. I think there’s a lot of important and critical details you might be missing that need to be accounted for before installing a solar power system.
1 meter but there's 2 sets of wire coming from the meter panel into 2 blank panels then a 3rd panel with the pool spot. I don't have a photo of that house but here's the other house and it's similar just another panel or two. I'm certain there's 2 wires connected directly to the meter as I couldn't install CTs for a sense energy monitor and just have it on part of the house.

But regardless it shouldn't matter. As long as one side is 200a at least that's over 40kw just for that side.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319_094209_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319_094209_Photos.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 7
1 meter but there's 2 sets of wire coming from the meter panel into 2 blank panels then a 3rd panel with the pool spot
Ya, there’s a lot going on there.
it shouldn't matter. As long as one side is 200a at least that's over 40kw just for that side.
Depends on several things, though.
Is this multifamily?
There’s got to be subpanels somewhere probably fed through a main disconnect panel. I could wildhat guess on what’s happening there but it’s unproductive. An hour consultation from a licensed electrician would be money well spent imho

Ya, there’s a lot going on there.

Depends on several things, though.
Is this multifamily?
There’s got to be subpanels somewhere probably fed through a main disconnect panel. I could wildhat guess on what’s happening there but it’s unproductive. An hour consultation from a licensed electrician would be money well spent imho
No main disconnect one time I pulled the meter box and it's definitely wired directly. You can see the wires below the meter.

Not multi family but the one house I'm wanting to install was built in 1947 then multiple major additions and all wiring upgraded. The other is 11 bdrm and built in 1890s built by town founder to house workers to build the town apparently. But still just 1 meter and everything.

I understand the electrical side and will make sure each side of those panels are 200a and will install Breakers. The 1 inverter I have is 10kw so even if I get 3 more I can put 2 on each side and treat it as separate solar installs and if net metering is all approved it'll be fine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319_101751_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319_101751_Photos.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 3
The first thing I did was call my county and find out what permits if any I needed. It’s way different from county to county and there are way less restrictions in small rural areas. Then I contacted my utility provider to get details about their requirements for grid tying and exporting to the grid.

Back