diy solar

diy solar

Pallet of 20 solar panels from Santan Solar on Ebay

For me? $1027.50 incl delivery nearby.

Awesome. All tested good here. One, with a burned cover tested at slightly over regular voltage.

How much?

Order total

SubtotalUSD 877.50
ShippingUSD 350.00
TaxUSD 104.34
Total USD 1,331.84

They have even better deals on panels with scratched backsheets and other deals on panels with snail trails (?)

I went with the used and generally defect free option as we get LOTS of rain here. Not sure how a scratched backsheet would hold up when nearly submerged for 6 months out of the year...

I made an offer, and also didn't have to pay tax, so I got a little lucky, really. And we got the same, tested and one had a slightly melted back cover, but I hauled them into the full sun and checked and that was slightly over voltage, but very close. They all work and look pretty good. Came with connectors on as well. But I haven't messed with them yet to know if we can actually use them.

I would have ZERO concerns with scratched backsheets -- who cares ... BUT although 95% of snail trails are fine - it ALL depends on where the trails are and what they are cutting through ... for me not worth the risk ... BUT with that said -- at those prices - maybe roll the dice ...

I would have ZERO concerns with scratched backsheets -- who cares ... BUT although 95% of snail trails are fine - it ALL depends on where the trails are and what they are cutting through ... for me not worth the risk ... BUT with that said -- at those prices - maybe roll the dice ...

What is a snailtrail? How does it form?

At these kinds of prices, it's likely wise to buy 20% more that you need, to have a couple of extra identical panels in case one or two falls short. If you end up not needing them, there are always people looking for a panel or two for a small project.

What is a snailtrail? How does it form?

"Snail trails are discoloration of the panel, which usually builds up over couple of years of power production on the field. Moisture can enter through the back sheet and diffuse to the cell surface. Here the silver from the grid contact fingers may get dissolved and the silver ion migration to the EVA (Ethyl Vinyl Acetate) foil encapsulation can set in the snail trail formation – mainly Silver nano-particles showing a typical brownish color.

It has been ascertained that this discoloration happens due to the formation of silver acetate, that is synthesized by silver carbonate (Ag2CO3) originating from the reaction of Ag ions and carbon dioxide and acetic acid that originates from the degradation of the EVA encapsulation. The effect of this reaction is that it can reach the front of the panel from the back and causes a chemical breakdown on the front of the panel of the grid fingers. This becomes visible as snail trails and was possibly thought to bring in a reduction in the panel’s performance as it can cut irradiance if these trails run across the cell. Though it is not true it is surely an indicator for cracks within the cells. The snail trails are almost always located at cell edges or along micro cracks that can run across the cells in the panel and these are ones that can possibly lower power production. So, it is more of chance that the cracks are deep enough that may result in more stresses building up and thereby a deterioration in performance by creating potential hot spots."

Back