diy solar

diy solar

Panel Orientation

Drunkin Solar

Getting ready to install a fixed ground mount panel system and have decided to use the standard of using your latitude for assigning the tilt. I'm at 36 degrees north so am figuring a 35 to 37 degree tilt optimized during spring and fall.

The catch I am not sure about is that I would also like to optimize the panels for a little better production in the afternoon and evening for a little A/C to cool things down. So I guess I want to orient somewhat west instead of due south.
But how much?

Hoping not to kill off the morning harvest is my concern.
Thanks for any suggestions

Hoping not to kill off the morning harvest is my concern.
It is a trade off that may turn on your rates. Clearly the greatest annual production will come from panels facing due South..However, if your rates in the late afternoon, like mine are much higher in late afternoon and early evening, you may want to favor more westerly orientation. That is what I have done. I am 34° North. I also notice some large solar installations along Interstate 5 in Califonia are skewed to the West. To quantity the economics you could run some simulations on PVWatts and convert the hourly production at the Time of Use Rates in your area. I do not know if this is applicable for you in Tennessee, but might be useful for other readers on TOU rates.

Thanks Ampster for the reply
I should clarify this system is completely off grid with generator backup. I considered going grid tie but the cost of running a service to my location and the crappy pay back rates here made my decision for no grid.

This is a smallish 3.2 kw array and should handle the modest needs I have of about 4 to 5 kwh a day. Just thinking the most electrically taxing thing I'll be running is A/C on hot days for cool down. That is why I am looking for how many degrees west will be good without going too far.
Since it's a ground mount I only get one shot at this install without incurring substantial expense to change it.
I like the "get it right the first time" mantra !

Last edited:
Back