diy solar

diy solar

Parallel Propane Tanks @ 0ºF for Dual Fuel Generator

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Just got a new inverter generator and want to run only on propane after initial break in. Worried about cold climate use of propane at 0ºF. Based on some power and propane evaporation tables at motor snorkel (ttps://motorsnorkel.com/propane-consumption-rate-2/), looks like I need the following:

5kw generator at 50% load uses: 50k BTU per hour

40# propane tank puts out 12.6K BTU per hour at 0ºF

50k/12.6k= 4 - 40# propane tanks in parallel

This will give me enough evaporation at 0ºF to run my 5kw generator at 2500kw for charging. Is this correct? If so where the hell do I get a 4 propane tank parallel connector..lol.

100lb tanks are easy to find and the you need 1 or 2. Or get a 100 gallon.
Yeah, looks like I'd need 2 - 100lb tanks. Going to be difficult to move those up and down more than 32 exterior stairs, cabin is on a mountain side and basement where panel and exterior generator inlet will be is on the lowest level. No propane company will place and fill a larger tank. May need to go with multiple 40s if this evaporation rate is correct. 0º is worse case scenario.

0º is worse case scenario
Propane boil might be better than you think. Try it it with one and see how it goes?
(FWIW my propane heat was fine at -39*F)
No propane company will place and fill a larger tank
buy one
Then plumb it from where they can be ~25’ of hose with direct burial copper and a brand new regulator.

They’ll charge you pretty expensively to fill it but probably not more per gallon than a refill station. I have a 100gal and I pay about 10-cents more per gallon than getting a 30lb cylinder refilled per gallon. But it lasts most if not all of the winter and I don’t have to bring a tank to refill. So it’s worth it.

Maybe these pics help define the issue. Generator is stored in basement (that was fun) where I'm also putting the generator inlet on the outside wall. Goal is to roll out of basement, hook up when needed and go. No exterior storage/shed/etc here. Need to move some mountain to make a flat spot :).

IMG_0311.jpegIMG_0308.jpeg

I would keep that much propane outdoors. No way would I want it in the structure. I already question it having a 20lb in my garage is a good idea sometimes.

Propane boil might be better than you think. Try it it with one and see how it goes?
(FWIW my propane heat was fine at -39*F)

buy one
Then plumb it from where they can be ~25’ of hose with direct burial copper and a brand new regulator.

They’ll charge you pretty expensively to fill it but probably not more per gallon than a refill station. I have a 100gal and I pay about 10-cents more per gallon than getting a 30lb cylinder refilled per gallon. But it lasts most if not all of the winter and I don’t have to bring a tank to refill. So it’s worth it.
I've tried 3 propane companies, none will come up the mountain to place or fill. I need to move these down into town to get filled.

I would keep that much propane outdoors. No way would I want it in the structure. I already question it having a 20lb in my garage is a good idea sometimes.
Propane tanks would be left outside all the time on the lowest deck. Gen will be rolled out into lowest deck (basement door) to use.

Given that the generator needs to be stored in the basement I'd run a propane line along the side of the house using black pipe. The propane tanks would need to be on some sort of pad at the top of the stairs with plumbing and a regulator (s). I'd also have a regulator at the tanks to take the pressure down to 11 water column inches (or whetever spec your generator calls for).

As suggested, I'd also try to get a celivery company to deliver the propane.

Do the delivery companies give you a reason why they won't install a tank? I'm guessing that you won't consume enough for a leased tank?

Is your house all electric now or do you have NG too? Reason I ask is my converted gen will run on propane and NG.

Given that the generator needs to be stored in the basement I'd run a propane line along the side of the house using black pipe. The propane tanks would need to be on some sort of pad at the top of the stairs with plumbing and a regulator (s). I'd also have a regulator at the tanks to take the pressure down to 11 water column inches (or whetever spec your generator calls for).

Do the delivery companies give you a reason why they won't install a tank? I'm guessing that you won't consume enough for a leased tank?
They can't get their vehicles up the main road grade which is about 10-14 degrees, steeper up my drive to house which is around 12-20 degrees. They will charge me $50 even if I don't use the propane so pricing is not the problem with a leased tank. Went down this path already as I wanted to change stove/oven and possibly water heater to propane...which ended up being a no-go.

We're only here 1 week a month, sometime two, and want to make it difficult for the tanks to be stolen which is why storing on the downstairs deck is the best option right now.

Is your house all electric now or do you have NG too? Reason I ask is my converted gen will run on propane and NG.
No NG, only electric up here. Just got phone land lines added last year. Spectrum Internet supposedly coming next year.

@jimf909 rethinking the black pipe option. Assume that will need to be strapped to the exterior of the house somehow, correct. Can't just lay on the ground next to the house. For tanks could pour a small concrete pad with anchors for a chain/lock.

@jimf909 rethinking the black pipe option. Assume that will need to be strapped to the exterior of the house somehow, correct. Can't just lay on the ground next to the house. For tanks could pour a small concrete pad with anchors for a chain/lock.
Yes, I would recommend strapping the pipe to the house if there's a reasonable path to doing that. I mentioned black pipe because it's familiar to me and it seems that running it alongside the building is easier than digging a trench. I have limited knowledge and certainly no knowledge of codes in your area but somethings to think about include:
- Type of pipe: black pipe, hard copper pipe or the CSST (corrugated stainless steel I linked to in the post above). CSST is pretty easy to work with too. Do not use galvanized pipe, the coating can flake off and clog he jets.
- Diameter of the pipe. I think 1/2" would be fine but confirm what your generator consumes. The 3/4" CSST is often very close in price to 1/2" and is still easy to work with. Black pipe starts getting heavy and more expensive at 3/4" so the CSST becomes more
- Shutoff valve w/in a few feet of the generator
- Regulator(s) at the tanks. If it's regulated down to 11" WC the tanks you won't need an additional regulator at the tank.

Propane pressure after the final regulator is very low (less than 1/2 psi) so it's relatively straightforward to work with but I recommend that you augment the above with true expertise in case my monkey-business is bad practice.

Yes, I would recommend strapping the pipe to the house if there's a reasonable path to doing that. I mentioned black pipe because it's familiar to me and it seems that running it alongside the building is easier than digging a trench. I have limited knowledge and certainly no knowledge of codes in your area but somethings to think about include:
- Type of pipe: black pipe, hard copper pipe or the CSST (corrugated stainless steel I linked to in the post above). CSST is pretty easy to work with too. Do not use galvanized pipe, the coating can flake off and clog he jets.
- Diameter of the pipe. I think 1/2" would be fine but confirm what your generator consumes. The 3/4" CSST is often very close in price to 1/2" and is still easy to work with. Black pipe starts getting heavy and more expensive at 3/4" so the CSST becomes more
- Shutoff valve w/in a few feet of the generator
- Regulator(s) at the tanks. If it's regulated down to 11" WC the tanks you won't need an additional regulator at the tank.

Propane pressure after the final regulator is very low (less than 1/2 psi) so it's relatively straightforward to work with but I recommend that you augment the above with true expertise in case my monkey-business is bad practice.
@jimf909, just for example at moderate temperatures, if I run the regulator that came with the generator off a 40lb tank and through 40ish feet said the CSST or hard copper to the generator bellow using a quick connect or something, it would work? I’d have the required pressure?

Back