diy solar

diy solar

Patagonia off grid house (think Portland Oregon)

Chile off grid

Hello, I’m about to start building a 1000 sqft house here in southern Chile. Nearest city is Puerto Varas. I’ve be living in a on grid rented house for sometime so I have a good idea of our electric usage/needs. We max out at about 150kwh per month. (Pellet stove is about half of that.) We mirror Portland/Eugene Oregon in most ways that relate to solar, weather, cloud cover, temp, (seasonal depression ?)
Our latitude is 41degrees south so it’s more like eureka California.
Here they sell “solar kits” Axpert vm lll 5kwh all in one with it has a 80amp MPPT. 12- 340watt and 8- 200amp 12v gel batteries. Along with connecting cables.(see picture below) That system is 6,300 usd out the door. I would have a 3000w gas powered generator as a backup charger.
What are your thoughts, I’m looking for a fairly straight forward system that doesn’t require a lot a daily thought or repair.
1: Will this system recharge the batteries (ever so slowly) on cloudy days at the same time the batteries power my house? Or is it one or the other?
2: On very sunny days/hours will the panels power my house and simultaneously recharge the batteries with any extra power? Or is it one or the other?
3: Will a 3kw generator recharge the batteries at a rate of at least 2.5kwh? Or do I not understand generator ratings potential?

Appreciate any advice can give! Here is a picture of the kit.

Attachments

• A9110BC8-1A00-4D20-B222-7CE5304F9751.jpeg
    A9110BC8-1A00-4D20-B222-7CE5304F9751.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7
You really only use 5kwh a day?

I could potentially use almost 150 kWh a day during the winter...

Yep, without the pellet stove it’s only 3kw in the summer! But hot water and stove top are gas... I try to use more to support the economy but I just can’t! ??‍♂️ It’s about .21 cents (usd) per kWh here!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 9
Nope...luckily we don’t pay the bill.

Only 1600 sq ft but 3 story on a bluff in western wi.

All elec. heat and all floors open to each other so no real way to close anything off.

We in fact are homeless after losing everything but lucky enough to have a free place to live for a few years as the house hasn’t ever been/isn’t lived in.

We probably wouldn’t be able to afford the property taxes alone...$1000 per month.

There is a small wood stove we use to try a keep the cost down somewhat but likely will only knock a couple hundreds month off.

To try and answer you question...I believe setup properly, the controller will send the net surplus to to your battery.

Yep, without the pellet stove it’s only 3kw in the summer! But hot water and stove top are gas... I try to use more to support the economy but I just can’t! ??‍♂️ It’s about .21 cents (usd) per kWh here!
The town I used to live in had insane electric prices through Unitil, the base electric was 14.3c per Kw/hr, but then they added on a 10 to 13 c per Kw/hr service charge (higher in winter), so the total cost was 24.3-27.3 c per Kw/hr.
Check the R1 rates

Last edited:
To try and answer you question...I believe setup properly, the controller will send the net surplus to to your battery.
Thanks for answering what you could. Much appreciated anyone else have experience with a Axpert vm iii all in one? I saw will post a warning about using “non pip” versions off grid. But I don’t know what pip is... or why the feed back is a problem if it’s not grid connected?

pip may be peak instantaneous power...off grid systems have to be able to deliver that, where grid connected systems can 'borrow' power from the grid to cover the peaks.

The town I used to live in had insane electric prices through Unitil, the base electric was 14.3c per Kw/hr, but then they added on a 10 to 13 c per Kw/hr service charge (higher in winter), so the total cost was 24.3-27.3 c per Kw/hr.
Check the R1 rates
Thanks for the pip explanation. What part of Chile were you in?

Back