diy solar

diy solar

Planning my first DIY build

kflo01

my first venture into solar didn't go well. I purchased an Allpowers 300w solar generator and 100w panel. Over the course of two years i used it twice and it died.

Yesterday i purchased a Bluetti EB70s (plan on using the panel i purchased with my old Allpowers.)

But now i want something powerful that i can expand over time so below is the system i am thinking about. Please chime in with your thoughts.

2- 200w Solar Panels from Rich Solar
40 Amp MPPT from Rich Solar
1000w Inverter
600ah battery link below, figured i'd go with an over kill battery then grow into it as/when i upgrade and enlarge the system.
A power supply to be able to wall charge the battery.
all needed cables and fuses etc.

what are your thoughts on this or am i doing it all wrong?

What are the intended uses? What are your goals? What type of budget?

current goal is to power my refrigerator in my one bedroom apartment then power my electric stove as needed.
Then if/when i ever buy a home be able to enlarge it over time but for now just to power my fridge and maybe a fan, i have central air and my windows i can't put a window unit in so really powering the fridge and a fan

ok gotcha i'll settle for cooking on my Coleman 2 burner propane stove then. stove is out.

i checked my refrigerator and it is 115V says it using .9 kWh every 24 hours.

Study, plan, budget.
So I found out roughly what I need. First I looked at my electric bill. I aversge around 1
7kwh a day in my
One bedroom apartment. But that includes central air, ele truck hot water heater, electric stove & oven and my
Gaming desktop with 800watt power supply and fridge.
Oh forgot to add my CPAP machine which rsn at about 25 watts.

I just got my Bluetti EB70 last night and found out what everything is pulling.

My fridge on startup hits 352 watts for about 5 seconds then runs between 74-85 watts.
Desk lamp- 5 watts
Portable fan- 5 watts
Desk fan- 42 watts on start then between 22-25 watts depending on what power it's on.
IPhone 13 charger- 7 watts
Lenvo T480 laptop 17 watts
radio charger- 5 watts
Tv (42” and 65”) haven't measured these yet.

Those are the only things I'd run of my power went out. I wouldn't
Have Central air and I wouldn't use my
Gaming laptop. Total was like 185-190 total watts used

I think I could probably get by with a 200 watts panel.

The battery you linked is only 74AH, not 600. 600 is the max amps it can produce (which is hard to fathom as I don't think anyone would recommend drawing 600 amps from a 12V battery). Warranty is also suspect at 30 days limited. You can get better AH/$ going with Chins batteries (or similar) on Amazon.

Specs from that website:
Battery Pack Specs

• Cells: LEV60F Prismatic by Lithium Energy Japan
  • Voltage (nominal): 12v
  • Configuration: 4S
  • Typical capacity: 74Ah
  • Power (max current): 7,200W (600A)
  • Power w/ BMS (max current): 2,400W (200A)
  • Dimensions: 10" L x 8" W x 6" H
  • Weight: 35 lbs (battery + compression plates + BMS)

I've been considering this inverter/charger/mppt all in one for a similar purpose: https://watts247.com/product/pip-2724lv-mr/

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but what intrigues me is that it already has 110V and usb outlets built-in, making it very easy to setup. Add a 24V battery and a few solar panels (rated up to 750W mppt input but be careful about the limited voltage input range, and note a fuse is recommended on the solar input), and you'd have a system ready to go in a small footprint. I recommend calling around to local solar companies or look for used panels, as you will likely find panels far cheaper than those I see on the Rich Solar website which are selling for over $1/watt.

200w panel * 4 hours of sun = 800w possible generation...

I think you need to re-think your math there. 😁

Watts and Watt-Hours are different things though, you'll have to figure out watt-hours and calculate with that.
Your right. I found a watt to watt hour converter. It looks to be nearly 3kwH.
I would need 600 watt in panels but the unit can only handle 200 watts so it looks like I would never be able to supply more power to it than its using.

The battery you linked is only 74AH, not 600. 600 is the max amps it can produce (which is hard to fathom as I don't think anyone would recommend drawing 600 amps from a 12V battery). Warranty is also suspect at 30 days limited. You can get better AH/$ going with Chins batteries (or similar) on Amazon.

Specs from that website:
Battery Pack Specs

• Cells: LEV60F Prismatic by Lithium Energy Japan
  • Voltage (nominal): 12v
  • Configuration: 4S
  • Typical capacity: 74Ah
  • Power (max current): 7,200W (600A)
  • Power w/ BMS (max current): 2,400W (200A)
  • Dimensions: 10" L x 8" W x 6" H
  • Weight: 35 lbs (battery + compression plates + BMS)
That sucks for how much that battery cost. Not going that route. Any suggestions on a different battery?

That sucks for how much that battery cost. Not going that route. Any suggestions on a different battery?
I can't provide any first-hand recommendations, but look through the threads as there are discussions on some of the batteries available on Amazon such as Chins and LiTime.

Understood. What I do know is that battery is a terrible choice.
I seethwy make mini 100a batteries. I thinknull go that route to maximize my footprint since I am in a small apartment.

Back