diy solar

diy solar

POE to provide off-grid networking.

venquessa

I was looking at moving the house network server to the garage to make use of the new Multiplus's current single plug. It remains a single plug until the spark does the AC install side for me. I believe that is the safety requirement, understanding it has no earth in the event of a grade failure. The spark is due in a week or two to install the earth and dust up on the AC side. I am only using it in test at the minute. Other than a 250W heater I used to test it for a few minutes, it is running nothing.

Anyway. The issue with moving the server to the garage is I only have 100Mbit/s network to the garage. So I went on Amazon to upgrade it to a 1Gb/s managed switch (I have VLAN trunks) and one of the first to pop up was a Netgear POE 5 port smart switch for £80.

A light bulb lit up in my head, just after, "Meh, don't need POE".... "Oh... wait. wait a minute."

If I install the POE switch in the garage and power it from the DC load side. It can then supply the main hallway table network core with 50VDC over ethernet. I can split that out in the hallway and use it to power the main switch, DSL modem and Wifi Access point.

As I have the multiplus in the event, in winter, should the solar be weak, I can always enable the charger if the battery drops below a given SoC. In that sense I can use the grid to back up the DC loads as well as use the DC to backup AC loads.

The AP, Modem and Switch consume about 20W total. The POE box supports 55W.

Anyone see any pit falls?

I can see an emergency situation, should the BMS disconnect the discharge side, I lose the whole network, without complicating things with a further UPS or DC transfer switch.

The office already has 24V DC feed and already runs the switch and main router from that so doing the above would make my network and internet power cut safe, assuming the DSL stays up at the exchange. I can even run PCs and laptops and lights :) The office may later, "Spark's blessing" required receive an AC 240V feed too soon.

I love PoE, so I like this plan.

Note that there are POE "passthrough" switches which themselves are powered by POE, and can distribute POE to downstream devices. Using these can smiplify the network design. Link

I have the TrendNet which is a managed switch, but the PoE capabilities are pretty weak. From what I've read, the Centronics and UltraPOE brands have more robust PoE passthrough, though they are unmanaged switches.

I am thinking of using one of the switches for PoE that is in my post here: But I am worrying about inrush, thoughts?

Back