diy solar

diy solar

power safe 12v170fs soh

bugsb

looking to get some 2 year old power safe 12v170fs batteries is there a way to get the cca for them so i can test them on my battery tester or is there some simple /ish way to test the soh

Others will likely have better ideas but the first step is to measure thier Voltage. If you find them above 12v you might have something usable but if they less than 10v they are almost surely goners.

If they are above 12v then you try to use a tester and see what it told you. I use the below tester with pretty good results for all sorts of batteries here around the farm. I'd put 600 CCA in there to start with.

'

thanks for the info , it took a while but found the 95amp are 1000cca and the 170amp are around the 1800cca , unless some one knows better, so like your tester i can set the cca and get some sort of soh , but you never know plans change and i might find a 24kw electric car battery at a good price yet

Last edited:
thanks for the info , it took a while but found the 95amp are 1000cca and the 170amp are around the 1800cca , unless some one knows better, so like your tester i can set the cca and get some sort of soh , but you never know plans change and i might find a 24kw electric car battery at a good price yet
An automotive cca tester is apples to oranges in deep cycle capacity.

The only means to accurately test those would be a capacity test. A timed and measured discharge to an ending point voltage.

Open circuit resting voltage might help you weed out the bad ones right off the bat, but certainly doesn't give them a clean bill of health.

If health is good they are a quality battery.

Knowing their history would help. Hopefully they haven't sat for 2 years untended.

I have 8 x SBS190F. They are my backup reserve.

Seller had one of those testers and the numbers all looked good. I had doubts about one and he had no issues replacing it.

I did some decent load tests and measured voltage along the way. They were good enough for what I wanted.

An automotive cca tester is apples to oranges in deep cycle capacity.

The only means to accurately test those would be a capacity test. A timed and measured discharge to an ending point voltage.

Open circuit resting voltage might help you weed out the bad ones right off the bat, but certainly doesn't give them a clean bill of health.
Agreed but that's not how I read the OP's original question. An CCA test is quite acceptable for a quick pass/fail test for purposes of making a purchase or not on a take or leave it sort sale. I'm assuming this is bargain on FB marketplace, etc.

they are all around the uk most come from telecom back ups 2-4 years old 170fs can be picked up from £70 as said you can only do the quick test to find any bad batt packs , one outlet will test on his new tester and gives you a printout, his last batch had 91% soh 3 years old , its all a mine field do i try 2 set up as 24v if ok get 2 more when funds are there or slowly build up a batt pack with 3.2v 280ah eve cells , i would like to get to the point where i can charge the mrs phev 9kw car on the granny charger midday during the summer mths

update i picked up x2 power safe to test both had a SOH of 90%,( my tester) so far they are on there 3rd recharge ready for later in the day , i will sell my x4 liesure batteries only 12mth old when i know more on the power safe

update the 170fs have been working fine with out any problems , they still have 90% soh , they do the job but still looking to goto life cells at some point when funds permit

Back