diy solar

diy solar

Power Shed

Danke

Solar Wizard
The building code where I live says less than 200 ft.² shed is exempt from permitting.

I’m thinking about making a power shed for the inverters and batteries. Do you think that would be exempt from an electrical inspection also?

If it's completely off grid and not connected to the house you should be fine. As soon as you get wiring involved to the main building the electrical inspectors get involved.

My own installation uses a combo Pumphouse & Powerhouse as it has the Well Head on one side and all the solar gear on the other. Due to my location (Northern Canada), it is hyper-insulated with Thermally Broken walls (walls are solid XPS foam between the studs, then 1" XPS between the studs & sheathing which thermally separates the structure). Dimensions are 14'x7' so it is within the exemptions for my region.

The solar controllers & inverter/charger, batteries etc are all within the building. VAC is run via an underground conduit to the house. As I am completely offgrid I did not have to suffer the exploitation of Big Power and their rules and nasty expenses. Everything is inspected and good which was required by home insurance. They actually like the idea of a separate powerhouse that keeps all that gear out of the Habitable Structure. The mentality IS changing but it is a very slow moving change as many insurance companies are not only fearful of solar & battery systems a few are essentially paranoid to the extreme.

To that end, please CHECK with your Insurance Co and see what they require for coverage. Far too many forget this step and then the Insurance Co comes along and let's just say the air gets pretty blue quickly. Some companies are extremely picky while others not so much. When I say "Picky" they may insist on material grades, certified products, assorted inspections and lord knows what else. This is even worse IF you are connecting to the Grid to Export Power. If you are grid-connected and are only going to use Grid Power to charge batteries when low or for Timeshifting the rules are more relaxed.

If it's completely off grid and not connected to the house you should be fine. As soon as you get wiring involved to the main building the electrical inspectors get involved.
I will be on grid-tide. The batteries need to be listed here, but my batteries aren’t. I’m thinking a shed may be exempt from that rule.

I searched the codes and really nothing about putting the equipment in the shed is addressed. I guess a phone call to the AHJ is next.

If you're going to be grid tied then you need all the UL listings and electrical inspections and permits along with everything that entails like disconnects and conduits and such.

If any part of the system doesn't have those UL stickers, the whole system will fail inspection.

If you're going to be grid tied then you need all the UL listings and electrical inspections and permits along with everything that entails like disconnects and conduits and such.

If any part of the system doesn't have those UL stickers, the whole system will fail inspection.
Well lead-acid batteries are exempt, and I think requirement for lithium is for lithium ion, and just not updated for LifePO4. So a fire concern, and maybe any type of batteries catching on the fire is not a concern with the shed…?

Edit: I know code currently doesn’t make a distinction for lithium types.

Last edited:
Well lead-acid batteries are exempt, and I think requirement for lithium is for lithium ion, and just not updated for LifePO4. So a fire concern, and maybe batteries catching on the fire is not a concern with the shed…?
The batteries MAY be exempt depending on local restrictions, but the fuses, inverter, etc still needs the stickers.

If the code doesn't distinguish the difference between lith ion and lfp then assume that lithium is lithium for code purposes.

Back