diy solar

diy solar

PowerPro battery for a golf cart?

wpns

Solar Joules are catch and release
I've got a Bad Boy Buggies 48V 4WD golf cart with eight Trojan T-145 batteries https://www.trojanbattery.com/products/t-145-6v-flooded-battery so 200AH(ish) and 576 pounds that I've been contemplating converting to lithium.

After noodling around with drop-in replacements (Allied Lithium still not ready for prime time plus 180AH is $4400) I realized that EG4 PowerPro is:

280AH
305#
Compatible with (identical to) my six house batteries, so if the golf cart dies I have a use for the battery.
'Only' $3800

There are a couple of issues:

1) Orientation. The default mounting position for home use is upright/vertical, but the golf cart would require horizontal mounting in the existing battery tray. The cells would be vent-upwards, so that's probably OK, but I don't know if there are any other real constraints on orientation. Would vibration be a concern? Does the IP65 rating depend on the orientation?

2) Charging. I've got a couple of ChargeVerter V2/GC that I could use, but the conversions (PowerPro House Battery -> 18KPV Inverter -> 240Vac -> ChargeVerter -> PowerPro Golf Cart Battery) offend the engineer in me. I know you can't/shouldn't/mustn't(?) connect charged batteries to discharged batteries, but don't the PowerPro have adjustable max charging current? In an ideal world we could just connect the two banks together with 10-25 feet of wire (which would have the added advantage of upsizing the house battery bank when connected).

Bad idea? Good idea? Brainstorm? Water On The Brain?

1) Cell vents up for the win.

I think the biggest issue is vibration.

IP65 specifically requires no water ingress from any direction.

2) Don't sweat the conversions. Sure, you'll lose some efficiency, but you're gaining a crapton in safety and convenience.

2) Don't sweat the conversions. Sure, you'll lose some efficiency, but you're gaining a crapton in safety and convenience.
So use the ChargeVerter V2/GC in closed-loop mode with the PP battery in the golf cart? Or just pick a voltage and current and charge it open-loop?

Back