diy solar

diy solar

Powerwall Components.

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
So far this is what I know I need (and what I think is the best way to go)
  • Battery - Tesla S Module 5.5 kW per pack, and 24v per pack (~$1250 per pack) I've seen enough DIY powerwall battery build kits, and the Tesla pack is my choice.
  • Controller - EVTV Controller (~$3000? with the raspberry pi display tablet)
  • DC->AC Inverter - 24v or 48v to 120V/240V (no idea price, 48v is better if you can $$$ it I guess)
  • Charger ?

How do I charge the battery pack? Is it just through the Inverter?
    How do I control charging the pack? I want to check if I have solar excess, if so, then charge the pack. As long as there is energy in the pack, I want to use that energy during my grid demand time on my entire panel. I do not have a "critical loads" panel. As far as I can tell though I think I could make one very easy for the room where it should run all the time (refrigerator, freezer and internet gateway).

It depends is the best answer so far.
What do you want the power wall to do?
offset peak rate usage? Provide power during an outage?
Solar bank for grid tie, or off grid use?
different needs have different requirements.

Solar bank for grid-tie to demand tariff shave.

I need to be able to provide 3 kW for 5 hours. That is peak output. I can easily cut that demand to .8 kW for those 5 hours. I can start switching of circuit breakers and drop down to .4 kW as it is now, after that I just turn the entire house off at the mains. The demand tariff where I live is so far out of whack, that there is just no way I can afford to let anything run during no solar output for those 5 hours (2pm to 7pm).

My solar system has an average of about 22 kW a day.

Last edited:
hello jasonhc73 i was reading your post and it surprised me what your solar sysytem output is and you cant afford to pay the bill... of your electric ,how many killowatts do you use for a day? sorry for asking but i can`t wrap my head arround it how many kw you use.
I tought the electric was expancive in my country but when i read your story....

hello jasonhc73 i was reading your post and it surprised me what your solar sysytem output is and you cant afford to pay the bill... of your electric ,how many killowatts do you use for a day? sorry for asking but i can`t wrap my head arround it how many kw you use.
I tought the electric was expancive in my country but when i read your story....

So, normally without solar, the kW is basically 15 cents. So it's really actually very inexpensive.

But somehow the grid provider got approval to punish solar users with something called a "demand terriff" it is in effect only 5 hours a day.

Where I live, my panels end production about 330 in the afternoon, in October. That means 3 1/2 hours of demand charge. That is charged at $4.00 a kW. So basically $40 a day.

The sinister thing that is happening is that the demand fee is applied based on the peak usage, not the actual usage. So if I use my microwave for 1 minute, 1800w. I get charged for 2kW, that's $8, times 3 1/2, that's $30, or $900 for the month.

They got this passed through my state 4 years ago, but then didn't implement it until 1 month before I installed my solar, this September. They also exempted systems that were already installed.

My average daily use is about 25kW.

So, normally without solar, the kW is basically 15 cents. So it's really actually very inexpensive.

But somehow the grid provider got approval to punish solar users with something called a "demand terriff" it is in effect only 5 hours a day.

Where I live, my panels end production about 330 in the afternoon, in October. That means 3 1/2 hours of demand charge. That is charged at $4.00 a kW. So basically $40 a day.

The sinister thing that is happening is that the demand fee is applied based on the peak usage, not the actual usage. So if I use my microwave for 1 minute, 1800w. I get charged for 2kW, that's $8, times 3 1/2, that's $30, or $900 for the month.

They got this passed through my state 4 years ago, but then didn't implement it until 1 month before I installed my solar, this September. They also exempted systems that were already installed.

My average daily use is about 25kW.
OH MY GOD!

where do you live? I want to be sure I NEVER move there!

Solar bank for grid-tie to demand tariff shave.

I need to be able to provide 3 kW for 5 hours. That is peak output. I can easily cut that demand to .8 kW for those 5 hours. I can start switching of circuit breakers and drop down to .4 kW as it is now, after that I just turn the entire house off at the mains. The demand tariff where I live is so far out of whack, that there is just no way I can afford to let anything run during no solar output for those 5 hours (2pm to 7pm).

My solar system has an average of about 22 kW a day.

ok, so, for you, I would get 400Ah, 48v bank... and a mpp 4850 inverter like Will shows on his site.
you have. HOW much solar? 22,000 watts? Wow. I don’t see how you are using ANY grid power during solar peak time...

ok, so, for you, I would get 400Ah, 48v bank... and a mpp 4850 inverter like Will shows on his site.
you have. HOW much solar? 22,000 watts? Wow. I don’t see how you are using ANY grid power during solar peak time...
Oh, I see, 22KWh average a day, so around 4KW output... I see.
Click my link from the other post, that's my solaredge inverter web page.

Here is what I have done!

8 BYD batteries.
2 MPP LV5048s.
1 metal rack (My local Costco was nowhere near this online price. 89.99 actually)
4 BMS's 7S to 16S 320A with LCD
1/0 Cable Lugs and Heat Shrink - 1/0 20ft black + 20ft red, 30pcs 3/8" lugs and 6 feet of heat shrink.
4P Manual Knife Switch - 4 Pole & 225A
Nema 14-50 connection direct to the A/C loads panel - Just one. When I want to power the loads panel with the batteries, I turn off the grid and through the knife switch from "FROM" to "TO".2019-12-01 (4).png

Last edited:
How much does each battery weigh?
Each battery is 165 pounds.
The rack is rated 500 a shelf and 3000lb when using the feet, but only 1000 when using the casters.

I have to find some way to get them up to the 3rd and 4th shelf, maybe buy and return the lift from harbor freight, or possibly a ramp and just slide them up. They are actually very each to slide, but wozers dead lifting these is a strong man competition event!
IMG_20191210_153500763.jpgIMG_20191210_162145030.jpg

I tried your link but it kept giving me a 404 error... page not found ?
I looked but maybe missed it, did you answer Supervstech? Where do you live?
Thanks,
Wiley

165, not bad.
I’m glad I have a forklift!
I’m sure I could use my winch or engine hoist, or my baby brother... he is 6’8”... strongman for sure.

Heck, a deer lift block and tackle could do it fairly easy as well.

Harbor freight has a deer lift block and tackle set for 20.00

Forklift...

20191211_200000.gif
IMG_20191211_201914903.jpg
6th shelf on
IMG_20191211_203512350.jpg
Scrap wood repurposed and a old type bumper jack.
I might have been able to chain and block/tackle it. But that was like 2 miles away at the Harbor Frieght.

Use what ya have!
IMG_20191211_202630266.jpgIMG_20191211_202639904.jpg

Last edited:
I tried your link but it kept giving me a 404 error... page not found ?
I looked but maybe missed it, did you answer Supervstech? Where do you live?
Thanks,
Wiley
The box on mine shows 1000 lb per shelf, but does not have a total capacity.

It can be set up half this height, two shelving units. It comes with the plugs and adapters, but one will be on casters and one on feet. Total capacity on casters is 1000lb, 8000lb on leveling feet.

They change it for some reason.

Last edited:
Back