diy solar

diy solar

Pre-Charge Unexpected Results on Multiplus II 12V 3000VA

Mercruiser

What I describe here are not big issues. But I thought some of you might want to know.

I am bench testing my shiny new Multiplus II 12V 3000VA. I made a pre-charge circuit using a 12V incandescent automotive bulb (Type 1003, 1A at 13V) and a momentary switch. It works great. One thing I really like about using an incandescent bulb is that it provides visual indication of current flow magnitude, whereas a 25W power resistor (or similar) does not provide any indication if it is conducting current or not.

Here are two surprising things I noticed:

1) Connecting the V-Sense input (to 13V) pre-charges the capacitor at a nice slow rate. I discovered this accidentally when I pushed my pre-charge momentary switch. The incandescent bulb didn't light up. Then I measured the Victron MP battery terminal voltage. It was 13 V. I expected it to be zero because I had not yet connected the battery. Turns out, I connected the V-Sense input first, and that pre-charged the capacitors. To verify, I disconnected the V-Sense and discharged the capacitors with another bulb. I then connected the volt meter to the MP battery terminals and connected the V-Sense input again. It took about 10 seconds to charge the capacitors up to 13V through the V-Sense input. For comparison, my type 1003 incandescent bulb charges the capacitors in about 3 seconds.

I was a bit surprised that the V-Sense input is not electrically isolated from the Victron battery terminals. But at least they put a decent resistance in the circuit. If this was a documented feature of V-Sense, I would have just used that instead of building a pre-charge circuit. Oh well. It's already done.

Note: The MP rocker switch has to be in the O position (completely off) for this to work. If the rocker switch is in the I or II position, the capacitors do not charge.

One more ramification of this V-Sense behavior, when putting a seasonal MP II in long-term storage (RV, boat, summer cabin), you probably need to disconnect the battery terminals AND the V-Sense. You would not want to slowly drain the battery through the current path from V-Sense input to loads connected to the MP battery terminals.

In case you are not familiar with the term, V-Sense is an optional connection for the MP II, as described here: https://www.victronenergy.com/media...tml#UUID-fcc597e4-d20d-e11e-76a3-827a6b984e44

2) You cannot pre-charge the capacitor if the MP rocker switch is in the I or II position AND the MP mode is set to OFF in the Victron Connect app. In this configuration, the MP is trying to draw power from the battery terminals and this prevents the capacitors from charging with my type 1003 incandescent bulb. This behavior is the same, regardless of whether the AC-IN is powered or not. To charge the capacitors, I had to first put the rocker switch in the O position (completely off).

I discovered this when I pushed my momentary pre-charge button and the incandescent bulb stayed lit as long as I pressed the button. The expected behavior is for the bulb to turn on bright at first, then dim over a couple of seconds as the capacitors are charged to 13V.

I think these two examples show some of the advantages of using an incandescent bulb in a pre-charge circuit, instead of a power resistor. I would not likely have noticed either of these behaviors if I had been using a power resistor.

Last edited:
@Mercruiser, thanks very much for this helpful info!

Just a few days ago I connected V-Sense to a MP II 48/5000 and later found it had pre-charged itself in the way you described so it's not only the 12V MP II models that do this.

I had chosen to have a 100Ω power resistor for limiting the current to about 0.5A, as well as a 1A fuse for protection, on the V-Sense wire from the battery positive terminal. I'd assumed that the V-Sense inputs would always be very high impedance so the resistor should not affect the voltage readings, but this turned out to be wrong. This resistor means that pre-charging by one device can lower the V-Sense voltage seen by other devices (such as MPPTs or another inverter on the same DC bus) though it would not happen for very long. I used the resistor as I wanted to avoid blowing fuses in case of a short on the V-Sense circuit. It goes to 4 devices via connection blocks that seem to require longer ferrules than I had to get the wires to stay in (so I had to use bare wire ends for now). I think I'll just get the proper ferrules and remove the resistor.

Last edited:
joneseym, I also anticipated that V-Synch would be a high-impedance input. This Victron equipment has some undocumented features. But at least it has documentation.

I stayed three days last year in Gwaelod-y-garth visiting the Cardiff region. It's nice to be in a place where everyone knows how to pronounce and spell 'Hughes'. It is a beautiful area with a fascinating history. Next time, I hope to visit north Wales.

Last edited:
Back