diy solar

diy solar

Prices dropping, will this continue?

well thats pretty simple, it means we can avoid buying these new batteries and wait another 3-4k cycles and see whats new then.

You know that 3-4k cycles is another 8-10 years. Thats quite a long time. Not sure how old you are, but when I reroof in 18 years, I wont care if the shingles have a 30 or 50 year warranty. It simply wont matter.

Regarding payback; If I didnt think I could get full payback in less than 5 years, I wouldn't bother with solar.

You know that 3-4k cycles is another 8-10 years. Thats quite a long time. Not sure how old you are, but when I reroof in 18 years, I wont care if the shingles have a 30 or 50 year warranty. It simply wont matter.

Regarding payback; If I didnt think I could get full payback in less than 5 years, I wouldn't bother with solar.
I think you miss my point, it’s why bother to spend money when you have that many cycles left, not to mention the OP of that post was saying about how something newer and better would come out. My answer of course so weight till you have burned through a few more cycles do not buy tomorrows tech, when what you got will carry you through till next months newest tech. That or tomorrows latest and greatest will drop in price during that interim

Solar and battery tax credit is currently through 2033. I say buy batteries now, and replace in 2033 if the credit is not extended.

That should be 2/3 of the way through anticipated cycle life.
A PowerPro would have cost you $0.075/kWh at that point.
(Assuming one 100% cycle per day.)

I think you miss my point, it’s why bother to spend money when you have that many cycles left, not to mention the OP of that post was saying about how something newer and better would come out. My answer of course so weight till you have burned through a few more cycles do not buy tomorrows tech, when what you got will carry you through till next months newest tech. That or tomorrows latest and greatest will drop in price during that interim
My point is that you cant plan out 20+ years with any kind of certainty. A couple years ago I had to make a decision regarding an eye surgery. The retinal eye surgery was invasive and risky.
As part of my decision making, I asked my doctor if this surgery would allow my eye to function for 30+ years. He said, I have no idea! All I know is that of we dont do this your left eye will stop functioning. Not sure how long you will live or if you will have other health issues.
I was pretty shocked, that after all of his training, his extremely successful practice, he couldnt estimate or even guess how long my eye should function, but life is uncertain. Very uncertain.
You might not get 8 years out of your batteries.
Whats the replacement warranty? Thats really the only thing that could be certain, if they are still in business, and you still care ( you're alive and well).

Back