diy solar

diy solar

Pronunciations - sigh-know-poly or see-know poly?

atatistcheff

Solar Enthusiast
We know that Sino refers to Chinese or relating to China. Since Will is the only person who I've ever heard pronounce Sinopoly I assumed he was doing it right. But the pronunciation for Sino as in "Sino-American relations" is with a long i and long o sound. More like "sigh-know" not "see-know". So it follows that Sinopoly is pronounced "Sigh-know-poly". Thoughts?

(Will, if you're reading this, we all love you and this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. You keep pronouncing things any way you want!)

I only speak one language, Bad English...

When someone corrects me, I spell it phonically...
Nothing drives the 'Pronunciation Police' bat-shit crazy like someone spelling (poorly) at them! ;)

Yes, I was the kid that poked hornet nests with a stick. :)

-----------

Before the current anti-social way of learning things,
Making stupid statements, then arguing a flawed position to have someone lay it out for them down to nuts & volts...

There used to be something called 'Country Dumb',
We 'Awe Shucks' someone and let them tell you EVERYTHING they know about a subject.
'Mr. Superior' just spilled his guts... And now he feels he put the 'Hillbilly' in his place,
We walk away with everything that guy knows and gave nothing up.
This was particularly effective at trade shows where the engineers were hanging around...

I always ask how they got to what worked best, what the fails or partial successes were,
You lean ONE way to do things when you see what they are doing,
You learn 40 ways NOT to do it when you ask what went wrong and why.

If you mess with a LOT of things, solutions to other issues you had come up in those conversations, nothing like someone handing you the solution to a stumbling block!
I LOVE the 'EASY' button!

The only right answer is the one I like. Linux was named after Linus Torvolds, so the "i" was long since 1990. But, when the media began to report on it during the tech craze in 2001, they mispronounced it, and that has stuck ever since. It's a battle until someone wins, and the winner is only the one that caught on the most among the masses.

I pronounce things how I like to pronounce them... smooth and catchy. Should roll of the tongue. So, I'll go against the grain for some time if I have to before I cave and change it. I guess see-know is a little smoother, but not enough for me to care in this case.

Just go with what you like, not what is "right". Words are just containers that carry meaning. The concept is what matters. If they understand the concept you communicated, you are right. If they don't like the wrapping, they can deliver their containers how they see fit.

It's actually "leenix" according to the creator. ;-)

I did see him interviewed after the media changed it and someone asked him how he felt about them changing the pronunciation. He said he didn't care. Note that he got 1/8 of the shares of VA Linux just for his name, which was worth $8 billion on the day of its IPO, so he got $1 billion worth of stock just because of his name. lol So yeah, give me $1 billion and I'll let you pronounce my name or the name of my software any way you want! LOL

I only speak one language, Bad English...

When someone corrects me, I spell it phonically...
Nothing drives the 'Pronunciation Police' bat-shit crazy like someone spelling (poorly) at them! ;)

Yes, I was the kid that poked hornet nests with a stick. :)
Hee hee.
phonetically: written to describe the sound rather than the dictionary spelling.
Poke.

Hee hee.
phonetically: written to describe the sound rather than the dictionary spelling.
Poke.

MOM! He's SPELLING at me! :(
Make him stop! ;)

Apparently you have had the spelling police after you too!
One thing about the internet, you can give a guy, just dump a $10,000 solution to his 'Problem' for free, cost $49.95 to do and doesn't require tearing down the house, digging up the yard, selling a kidney...
And get a summary rejection because you spelled something wrong or put in the wrong punctuation.

While an electrical schematic is a very precise ENGINEERING drawing, each symbol is a very specific component,
A 'Drawing', 'Diagram' or 'Pictogram' is NOT...

The average person doesn't need to know, or even want to know what the schematic looks like,
All they want to know is where to hook the wires up!
*IF* I can get that point across and it makes sense to them, schematics be damned!
The purists will complain, but it's never an electrical engineer asking about basic component wiring! ;)
(Just complaining after the fact you didn't use the proper schematic and make it MORE complicated for a guy already confused...)

Education is ALWAYS good, in every case,
BUT,
I see no sense in beating someone over the head with it,
I think 'Bad English' gets my point across most times...

I've been studying psychology, and I wasn't surprised to find out that intelligence has nothing to do with grammer, spelling & punctuation, most of the higher functioning 'Natural' engineers, builders, inventers had a 'Learning Disability' that prevented them from picking up the learned behavior of spelling, Grammer, etc.
Ben Franklin was Aspergers, Edison was Dyslexic & Aspergers, Tesla was Aspergers, as far as anyone can tell Da Vinci was Aspergers or full on Autistic, Archimedes was on the Autism spectrum...

Trying to read Tesla's original notes is like reading stereo instructions that started out in Korean, got translated to Spanish, then Russian, then some dead language, then to bad English...
But he did design virtually all the AC power grid, so he must have had something going on! ;)

Personally, I say I know a good idea when I steal it :)
Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while, so I listen to everyone (for as long as I can stand it sometimes) to see if they found an acorn or not...

The 'Lazy Guy' will show you the easiest way to get anything done,
The hyper-active perfectionist will show you the most complicated way to never finish anything and work yourself to death doing it,
The 'Random Though' guy will spit out 300 ideas an hour, (2 will be relevant, you just have to wade through the other 298),

We all know the types...
I remember when I was 17, knew EVERYTHING, had ALL the answers,
And my dad was the DUMBEST person on the planet.
I joined the Marines and didn't get home for 2 years.
I was AMAZED how much knowledge & wisdom my dad gained in that 2 years!

It takes all kinds!

"MOM! He's SPELLING at me! :(
Make him stop!" ;) ROTFL ?

The spelling police...........the internet gives them worldly purpose and a reason for existence.

Y'all caint spel or prenownse, gwan, git et cureck cuz itz rong........LOL

Lgiphy.gif

Last edited:
Every wondered how irdeto is pronounced? Someone on a forum I read wondered that too, so they called one of their offices just to see how the staff answered the phone.

Most people also say TESLA wrong, listen to Elon, he says TEZLA in his interviews.

Elon is correct, immigration changed the spelling when he immigrated to the US.
Along with about 20 million other people's names...

What's in a name anyway?
Call me anything you want, just do it with a smile or I'll throw one of my 13 hammers at you! ;)

Elon is correct, immigration changed the spelling when he immigrated to the US.
Along with about 20 million other people's names...

What's in a name anyway?
Call me anything you want, just do it with a smile or I'll throw one of my 13 hammers at you! ;)

16A8057A-D5A1-44A0-AA8E-8D2788748D80.jpeg

"MOM! He's SPELLING at me! :(
Make him stop!" ;) ROTFL ?

The spelling police...........the internet gives them worldly purpose and a reason for existence.

Y'all caint spel or prenownse, gwan, git et cureck cuz itz rong........LOL
Not the spelling police. Phonically is a perfectly correct spelling of a word. It was just not the correct word for that context.
Sorry folks, I’m a writer, and the wrong word in a context is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
And, yes, that makes me a jerk when I make corrections like this.

Back