diy solar

diy solar

Propane flowmeter: has anyone used one to measure generator propane consumption?

jimf909

Electricity curious
I'm interested in learning about propane flowmeters that can measure fuel consumption of a propane generator. This would provide more precise data for planning and cost calculations. My generator is plumbed to a 500 gallon tank that services the rest of the house so the flowmeter would be installed at the generator.

What can you tell me about: ultrasonic or inline flowmeters and their pros and cons; analog, digital or bluetooth apps, etc.? I've plumbed a good bit of propane lines so installing an inline meter is doable but the portability of an ultrasonic meter may have benefits.

Thanks for any info or links that you can provide.

There are low cost load cells to electronically weigh cylinder if you want to tie into Home Assistant, Solar Assistant or Node Red to keep records of use.

500 lb cylinder may be easier to do flow.

Since the 500 gallon (2,100 lb) tank is fueling other devices (stove, heater, etc.) I want to use a flowmeter at the generator to measure only what's being consumed by the generator.

I've seen inline and ultrasonic types and hope folks here may have some insights on their use.

Thanks.

Back