diy solar

diy solar

Providing 200A service to the service panel via EF/Bluetti

adirondack_wanderer

I recently saw the video of 8 Bit Guy powering his home with 2 EF Pro units to provide 240V service but it was via a single 30A breaker to his service panel. This limits to 30A so although you can run your electric dryer and electric stove you can't do that at the same time and you have to be mindful of any loads in case you approach the 30A limit. How would you go about providing 240V / 200A service with some of the all-in-one units like these? 10 Delta Pros each paired and feeding a breaker?

You'd probably want to look at the newer modular home standby units, the Bluetti ep800, ecoflow Delta Pro Ultra, Anker X1 etc. Looks like quite a few options coming soon.

I don't think that EF / Bluetti are in that market to supply 200A. My perception is that they tend to provide turn key solutions and charge a premium. Like you said, you have to get ridiculus and get say 10 EF units.

If a house requires anywhere near 100A-200A of constant load, they are likely running all electric appliances. If you can afford those electric prices and the upfront cost of a solar system to cover the loads, then money is probably not a concern for you. If you're talking about a business, thats a completely different set of rules.

Cheaper and easier options are to switch out the electric appliances to other types like gas / propane. Solar is expensive upfront and you claw your savings back over 10-ish year. A good size generator is much cheaper upfront and you pay a premium to operate it. BUT you only pay when you use it e.g. power goes out.

That isn't the intention of this type of setup.

Small units like this are to provide power for your most critical loads such as refrigeration, light cooking (such as a microwave oven), making coffee, and having enough power to run a natural gas furnace.

Mostly cook on the gas grill outside.

Some lights around the house so the kids can navigate. Charge some cell phones - but really no power computer gaming.

No air conditioning or running heavy appliances.

If you want to do something like that - look at for instance multiple Tesla power wall size arrangements or similar.

I don't think that EF / Bluetti are in that market to supply 200A. My perception is that they tend to provide turn key solutions and charge a premium. Like you said, you have to get ridiculus and get say 10 EF units.

If a house requires anywhere near 100A-200A of constant load, they are likely running all electric appliances. If you can afford those electric prices and the upfront cost of a solar system to cover the loads, then money is probably not a concern for you. If you're talking about a business, thats a completely different set of rules.

Cheaper and easier options are to switch out the electric appliances to other types like gas / propane. Solar is expensive upfront and you claw your savings back over 10-ish year. A good size generator is much cheaper upfront and you pay a premium to operate it. BUT you only pay when you use it e.g. power goes out.
Sadly some states are so obsessed with "zero emissions" that they are prohibiting natural gas hookups for new buildings and banning propane appliances in the future. NY being one. Sadly they won't accept responsibility when there's a crippling ice storm and all electric households freeze to death. I guess the rich and well connected will have their propane or nat gas generators to keep the lights on.

Back