diy solar

diy solar

PV Wattage

RinVt

How can the solar panels produce more than the total wattage. I have 8 200 watt panels and 8 385 watt panels? I have gotten over 6000 watts on my Sungold 6000 48v system.

How can the solar panels produce more than the total wattage.
Cloud edging, cold temperatures, optimal angle and conditions are a few possibilities that come to mind.
I have 8 200 watt panels and 8 385 watt panels? I have gotten over 6000 watts on my Sungold 6000 48v system.
How do you have them wired? That unit only has one mppt if you have the TP6048.
Are you looking at current production data or a total for the day?

How can the solar panels produce more than the total wattage.
The standard wattage rating of a PV panel is related to very specific conditions of insolation and environmental factors (e.g. temperature, air mass, wind) etc.

If the actual conditions vary from that (and they will continuously) then the panel's output will also vary. Mostly those conditions result in output being something less than the standard rating, but occasionally you can get conditions which result in output higher than the rating.

Cloud edging, cold temperatures, optimal angle and conditions are a few possibilities that come to mind.

How do you have them wired? That unit only has one mppt if you have the TP6048.
Are you looking at current production data or a total for the day?
The 8 200 watt panels are in series and the 385 watt panels are in series than both strings are in paralleled to the inverter system. Looking at current production. It is halfling the MPPT at times and than resetting to full watts.

I would suggest adding a separate MPPT
To the best of my knowledge you are hampering production with the current setup.
The 8 200 watt panels are in series and the 385 watt panels are in series than both strings are in paralleled to the inverter system. Looking at current production.

It is halfling the MPPT at times and than resetting to full watts.
I don't understand what you mean by this.

Have you taken a DC clamp on ammeter reading for the time of that production? Multiply amps by AIO panel read out volts ( or use a separate volt DMM on PV terminals) and it may be your AIO's is giving you an optimistic input reading.

I can attest to the fact that the panels produce at higher rates. I have 20 x 200watt panels and saw this in Solar Assistant a few days ago:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-41-18 SolarAssistant.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11-41-18 SolarAssistant.png
    125 KB · Views: 6
I would suggest adding a separate MPPT
To the best of my knowledge you are hampering production with the current setup.

I don't understand what you mean by this.
I was producing 5000 watts than it cut to 2500 watts than after about 2 min it went back to 5000 watts. Not the exact numbers at the time.

The 8 200 watt panels are in series and the 385 watt panels are in series than both strings are in paralleled to the inverter system. Looking at current production. It is halfling the MPPT at times and than resetting to full watts.
Assuming that's not just a cloud passing by, then it sounds like the MPPT is struggling to manage the two quite different strings in parallel.

What is each string's nominal voltage?

Assuming that's not just a cloud passing by, then it sounds like the MPPT is struggling to manage the two quite different strings in parallel.

What is each string's nominal voltage?
the panels are 200 watts voc is 44.6 and 385 watts voc 48.21

Back