diy solar

diy solar

PV wire color, code?

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
I’ll be installing my new EG4 18Kpv over the next week or so, and have a code question in regards to PV wiring.

Home install, panels on the roof. Using Tigo rapid shutdown. I’ll be running EMT from Soladeck on roof to inverter (through a Wireway). I have (4) 100ft rolls of black 10awg PV wire, any reason I can’t run all black and reidentify one conductor with red tape on each end?

I suppose same question for battery connections, any codes AGAINST reidentifying? It’s 2/0 so well above the NEC limit but I generally take that to apply to AC wiring.

The wire I have:

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpeg
    IMG_5716.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5715.jpeg
    IMG_5715.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 7
any reason I can’t run all black and reidentify one conductor with red tape on each end?
A lot of people do that.
I suppose same question for battery connections, any codes AGAINST reidentifying?
Mostly no.

Technically, if you ground the DC negative, it is a 'Grounded Conductor and should be either white or gray (It is a dc Neutral).... or re-identified with white or gray tape.... but I don't think anyone does it and most inspectors don't flag it. However, I do try to keep the battery positive red... It is too easy to make an expensive mistake otherwise.

Back