diy solar

diy solar

Renogy dcdc mmpt question

Deegs

This is my first time doing DIY dc electric
I am converting a 1998 ford van to a camper and am trying to figure out how I want to do electricity. It used to have a wheel chair lift so I already have a battery run from the engine. I am trying to decide between the 50 amp or 30 amp DCDC/MPPT renogy charger. I am unsure which would be better. I am planning on using 1 206 AH lithium battery for the system I could probably get by with a 100AH. what are some of the sizing questions I need to ask? why would some one use the 30 amp over the 50 amp? Sorry if these questions sound dumb but the only dum,b question is the one you don't ask. I am basing my plan on the 400Watt with alternator on the web site. I plan on doing the battery and alternator charging first, with no inverter. then add the solar power and an inverter if I need it later.

30 vs 50: Using the 30 amp would reduce the draw on the alternator and also require smaller cabling. If no solar is active (like zero watts) then the device can draw fully from the alternator. The larger version will draw MORE than 50 amps (maybe 60+) so keep that in mind when sizing your cable. The smaller version would also be helpful to limit the charge amps into a battery as it may be a smaller battery. 50 charge amps into a 100Ah battery may be too much.

30 vs 50: Using the 30 amp would reduce the draw on the alternator and also require smaller cabling. If no solar is active (like zero watts) then the device can draw fully from the alternator. The larger version will draw MORE than 50 amps (maybe 60+) so keep that in mind when sizing your cable. The smaller version would also be helpful to limit the charge amps into a battery as it may be a smaller battery. 50 charge amps into a 100Ah battery may be too much.
ok that helps a lot thanks

Back