diy solar

diy solar

Replacement feed for inverter

Rickster1978

I know this is something that my electrician will probably be able to assist with but I’m really keen to get my head around it before he comes over.

5.5kw Sunsynk Hubrid inverter and 15kw Seplos Mason 280 box are being fitted in the garage.

Feed from home consumer unit to garage is a 2.5mm armoured which I’m assuming is nowhere near big enough for the inverter / battery to be added to it.

On this basis I’m assuming it needs upgrading to a 10mm feed. However I’m not sure how easy I can get this feed back to the consumer unit in the house. Does it need to go back into the main consumer unit or can it be fed back to the meter without having to get back to the CU?

The meter is on the outside wall near the garage but my initial thought was that it would need to go back to the CU in the house if the battery is going to be powering the house during the day. Will be speaking to the electrician this week about getting it sorted but keen to have an idea so I can brace myself for a tricky conversation with the wife who has just redecorated the utility room which houses the CU. She’s not going to be happy if I need to start ripping plasterboard out to be able to get a cable back to the board :(

5.5kw Sunsynk Hubrid inverter and 15kw Seplos Mason 280 box are being fitted in the garage.

Feed from home consumer unit to garage is a 2.5mm armoured which I’m assuming is nowhere near big enough for the inverter / battery to be added to it.

Depends on distance , 2.5mm swa (armoured cable) usually rated at 31a (31a x 230v = 7.1kw). So you might get away without changing it at all, But you'd have to talk to your sparky about this, he can do the cable cals for your situation

On this basis I’m assuming it needs upgrading to a 10mm feed. However I’m not sure how easy I can get this feed back to the consumer unit in the house. Does it need to go back into the main consumer unit or can it be fed back to the meter without having to get back to the CU?

Normally they'd split the meter tails in the meter box with henley blocks , then into an outdoor/separate small consumer unit with breakers & then new cable from there to your garage

Inside the meter box would look something like this.

506403C0-E76E-49E8-A0BD-BDDC3EAB52BD.jpeg.34ef1b48e003223c7743b1af4e772406.jpeg

At the moment there is a small garage board in the garage but also an RCD for the garage on the house consumer unit hence why I think it goes back there.

It will be much easier if it goes back to the meter and is connected via a Henley block. Just wasn’t sure if that would allow me to be able to use the battery to power the house or not.

The spark is my brother and he’s going to pop over this week so I’ll have a chat to him. Thanks for the comments but hopefully a feed back to the meter will do the trick :)

Just wasn’t sure if that would allow me to be able to use the battery to power the house or not.
Yea your Hybrid inverter should sort that out... Its raises the AC voltage slightly above the mains so it feeds your house first and then a CT clamp or two monitor import/export , if it's all set up properly it should work well

Back