diy solar

diy solar

Replacing 2004 RV converter with LiFePO4 model

atatistcheff

Solar Enthusiast
This is not strictly a solar question but I know there are folks here who have done some work on their RV electrical systems so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just bought a 2004 Coachman trailer and am planning to retrofit the battery with LiFePO4. To do so I also plan to replace the DC converter/charger with one from Progressive Dynamics designed to charge LiFePO4 batteries. Looking at the existing converter I can see the 120VAC in and the 12VDC out. However, the out has three wires - white, blue and red. It looks like white is negative, blue is positive 12V and red is positive 12V filtered. I'm assuming that feeds a couple of the circuits like the stereo and one other I can't remember with power that has additional filtering to smooth out the ripples. I don't think the Progressive Dynamics has these two outputs. I'm thinking I can just combine the red+blue into the positive 12V output of the PD controller. Has anyone done this before? If so any help would be appreciated.

20191207_105750.jpg

Thanks that is encouraging as it shows pretty much the same converter setup I have. Only thing, they replace the entire DC distribution panel too so it doesn't have the filtered/unfiltered DC connections. Still seems like if I use the existing DC panel I can just power the "filtered" and unfiltered DC from the single positive wire coming out of the replacement controller.

Also good to know about your experience with the replacement controller not fitting into the same space. I'm thinking the Progressive Dynamics model is taller and won't fit there in my case either. Guess that means extending the 120VAC to relocate the controller in the battery compartment or some other available space.

Back