diy solar

diy solar

Replacing DC-DC Charger with an inverter

Wellydex

Raumati Beach, Wellington, New Zealand, lat 41 S
My Caravan system comprises of 1000W of solar, 200 a/h of Lifepo4 at 24v and a Victron Multiplus 3000 240v.
I go through about 2Kw/hr a day and have had no issues so far replenishing this with solar even in dodgy weather, however as winter comes on this will increase.
I do not use DC DC charging from tow vehicle or shore supply, however I was considering putting a Victron Orion DC DC charger to allow this.
This would cost me about $500 + heavy DC cabling from front of tow vehicle through to Caravan.
For about $300 I can get a Victron 12v 500w Phoenix inverter, and install it in my truck, I can the take the 2A 240 v and plug into input of multiplus, limiting its input draw to an appropriate number around 2A.
Seeing I would use it rarely, this gives me the added advantage of having an inverter in the truck and would be cheaper.
Clearly there are safety/earthing issues associated with this but am comfortable with those so please don't dwell on them.
I would be keen on hearing people's thoughts as. Have never heard of this being done but it seems to have great potential. Jon

It won't be very efficient, but it should work fine. Just make sure your alternator can take a continuous 40 amps...many can't, even though they are rated much higher.

It won't be very efficient, but it should work fine. Just make sure your alternator can take a continuous 40 amps...many can't, even though they are rated much higher.
I did a quick spec sheet comparison, (which of course will be optimistic) and I lose about 7% through the DC DC, whereas it is about 10% at the inverter, and again at the charger, However I will also have a bit of loss through voltage drop pushing 12v 7 meters, so I am guessing it will be about 20% loss vs 10% for DC DC. I can live with that. Jon

That is exactly what I am going to do in my RV. I bought recently a second hand 800W Victron phoenix (90 euro), which is much cheaper that a DC-DC converter at that power rate.

Arie

"This guy is doing something similar by using his tow trailer as extra battery and charging station for his RV."....

Holy Sh## Batman!!!! Wow!

Back