diy solar

diy solar

[Resolved] Dumb EG4 6000XP question

jsmithtx

On the EG4 6000XP, my batteries are charging to 90% and then stopping. I've been through every setting and cannot find where I switched it to the 90% max.

I am NOT plugged into the grid at all, just PV incoming loads and then 4 EG4 batteries.

This appears to have started when I did a test plug into the grid to charge to see how that went and even after unplugging and switching back to PV/battery only, it now only goes to 90% max.

What setting should I look at? Thanks.

On the EG4 6000XP, my batteries are charging to 90% and then stopping. I've been through every setting and cannot find where I switched it to the 90% max.

I am NOT plugged into the grid at all, just PV incoming loads and then 4 EG4 batteries.

This appears to have started when I did a test plug into the grid to charge to see how that went and even after unplugging and switching back to PV/battery only, it now only goes to 90% max.

The EG4 batteries tell the inverter how to charge it. It's not uncommon for them to get out of sync.

Most resolve it by disabling inverter comms (unplugging cables and setting battery to USE type) and charging to around 56.8V and floating at about 54.4V.

The EG4 batteries tell the inverter how to charge it. It's not uncommon for them to get out of sync.

Most resolve it by disabling inverter comms (unplugging cables and setting battery to USE type) and charging to around 56.8V and floating at about 54.4V.
Weird. They were going to 98% before.

That said, I also did some DIP switch flipping because the inverter "lost" one of the batteries (reported 300amps). It now reads 4 batteries (400amps), but the DIPs are set to 1,2,3,5. If I set the last one to 4, it "loses" it (back to 300amps).

On Saturday, I connected my first string of PV panels (6x385W ME)to PV2 input. My other string (12x200W Sharp) is still charging EG4LL batteries through a MidNite Classic 200. Apparently, the EG4 6k Inverter does not like common return on the PV inputs via a new 300V PV Disconnect Panel. All sorts of odd alarms and warnings and the Inverter shut down when I turned on the PV breaker. Next move will be to isolate the PV strings (-) return leads at least at the EG4 6k input and hope the new array input will also charge the batteries as planned. I still need to rewire the 12x200W array for 250V to be connected as PV1 and finally loose the common ground MidNite Classic 200. To be continued....

Battery firmware if EG4 LP4 batteries. Known issues with older firmware, top-balancing and charging to 100%. Upgrade is arcane and tedious.

Resolved. Turned out I had changed the top battery setting from CAN to RS485 and the communication with the inverter was incorrect.

Back